We have to figure out how to disable the GPS "safety"

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

T

texas911

Yea the disclaimer and the lock out while in motion totally sucks. Why freaking bother if you have to stop to input??? Even my wifes Honda lets you have full control of the Navigation system while in motion. Stupid stupid stupid.

Another grip is that the surrounding street names are rarely on the screen when you're driving around. How dumb is that? Makes it hard to navigate when all you see are lines on the map! They seriously need to update the software to make it render the names on the screen dynamically, as it is now its fixed. Just use the Honda nav OEM system, its Alpine.

roverman

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I chose to use rand mcnally, a bluetooth earpiece and save $5000. Not to rub it in or anything, but look at all the headaches I've avoided :)

Just trying to be lighthearted

Question tho: Is this the way the Nav's have been all along with rover, or did Land Rover dumb this down too? er...I mean "make safer"

Last edited by a moderator:

grommet

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I think most Denso based systems lockout while moving. (Lexus, Jaguar, etc.) Personally, I find it annoying a front passenger can't enter addresses or make major changes... but, solo, I honestly don't think I could safely punch in a full address. Of course, I don't want to watch TV or play video games while driving, either. :)

Remember, some functions still work... you can redirect to recent saved points, POIs, etc. Heck, you can tell the voice system "Navigation chinese food" and select one of the chinese restaurants on the screen.

D

daytomann

We just purchased a Jeep Commander...The nav on our Commander doesnt allow you to do much while driving either. I dont see what the big deal is...at least some of you guys have the voice option. I think there is an alternate route option if you run into construction (which has been an argument about not being able to makes changes while driving).
On our Commander, when you go off course it re-plots a route with th quickest way to your destination. I just happened to encounter some construction delays this past weekend on a trip. I just pulled over and typed in my destination. Then I took an exit and it plotted a new course. That got me to a point that was past the construction. Then I got back on the highway and it replotted again (but I knew where I was going anyway) Point is, that it helped me get around the construction.. I found it to work GREAT!..It might not always work out that way but I was impressed none the less. I just dont see what all the fuss is about????

Last edited by a moderator:
T

Tomasz

Yeah, we have the avoid route from here option to. Most NAV options work, except the ability to type in a new address. Sounds reasonable, just not my preference. Especially since passenger could be doing the work.

T

texas911

Yea, once you've tasted forbidden (the Honda Nav) fruit, its hard to go back to regular nav systems.

J

jcegold

You are right texas911 the honda navi is one of the most user freindly i have used.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tflint2112