We have to figure out how to disable the GPS "safety"

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

askewed

Full Access Member
Reaction score
A computer designed to assist me while I'm driving that can't function while I'm driving is all but useless... and makes me insane.

Ponderous!

T

tzucc

It's not going to be easy. Unlike third party systems where it's easy at time of install to put in hidden defeat switch, on the OEM system, you just can't disable the GPS brake detection without breaking something else.

You're just going to have to learn to pull over to enter a new address in. You can at least have the nice lady display POI's and then navigate to them. That's 1/3 of what you want to do.

askewed

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I admit I haven't had enough time to completly figure this GPS out. I need to look at it harder. I will tell you that it makes me so mad that it doesn't switch regions when you go from one to the other. I tried to use POI yesterday to find a gas station but I was in PA... And I live in NJ! Bugs me is all!

T

toddjb123

Wow...just reading this for the first time (and saw it in the MPG post). That is a real pain.

So I understand this...the GPS does function, you just can't enter new addresses, right?

I hate safety issues like this. If I get in an accident playing with the car controls, it should be my fault...don't need the manufacturer's protecting me!

W

wsy

I saw this yesterday as well... Yeah, I was picking up my D1, and had a few minutes in
the showroom to spare.

I'd consider it "disabling" - that is, instead of paying LR for the integrated system,
buy a cheaper aftermarket unit that didn't try to second-guess the pilot.

Sorta like that and the wired-windshield that keeps you from running a radar detector.
Jerks....

-Bill

M

Midcoast

Disable Startup Screen

Actually a LR representative told me there is a hack published on the Internet that describes how to disable the startup screen acknowledgement and a separate one that disables the 'in motion' items.

However, I have not been able to find it.

Anyone have any other ideas how to find this elusive hack?

F

Freeflytim

wsy said:
Sorta like that and the wired-windshield that keeps you from running a radar detector.-Bill

Ive had no prob with my Valentine behind the windscreen. Zero. Saved my butt many times already in my D3. Radar and laser... even from behind. But Ive got a V1. The best. This is a bit of an urban legend. The original heated windscreens like in an '85 Lincoln TownCar were a 'film' that did screw with radar detectors. But not now. The cold package wires did not change the sensativity of my Valentine. I had this concern initially, but, its bunk. At least with my V1.. any other radar detector is a piece of junk.

Btw, I think the xenon headlights screw with laser. The laser must be blinded. Twice Ive had my lights on driving 90+ and crested a hill to see a GA trooper with the laser pointed at me. I was the only target both times and didn't get stopped.

Sorry to hijack.

Last edited by a moderator:

grommet

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Midcoast said:
Actually a LR representative told me there is a hack published on the Internet that describes how to disable the startup screen acknowledgement and a separate one that disables the 'in motion' items.

However, I have not been able to find it.

Anyone have any other ideas how to find this elusive hack?
Your "LR representative" is clueless. We did note a speed inhibit flag in the Navigation screen's diag/test mode, but it can't be changed by mere mortals... so we don't know what it would do in reality. And there was nothing even close about the warning/lawyer message.

S

sgllr3

The warning disclaimer is sufferable.

The inability to manipulate nav while the car is in motion is intolerable.

Don't think for one second LR or their engineers are concerned about what you do while you're driving. They just don't want to be sued.

Lawyers! Man, they suck.

If I eat a big mac going 60 mph and **** 40 people, is it Ronald's fault? Hell, they promote eating and driving by having drive-thrus.

Didn't LR think that just maybe someone in the front passenger seat may want to play with the nav while the car is moving? If LR wanted to satisfy lawyer ****, they could use the same (or similar) sensor that activates the passenger airbag to deactivate the nav safety. Not to hard to figure that one out. But for the record, you saw it here first. So if a manufacturer puts this in an upcoming model, I can hire a lawyer and sue for stealing intellectual property! ;)

Anyway, the original post is temporally old. Any updates?

grommet

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Nope. Remember, you can still select "stored" destinations while moving... some functions do work. Better than nothing.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
washburn72