Wear & Tear hvac knobs - door armrest

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

anamorphic

Reaction score
Someone is defensive.

Just for the record, you brought up buying a new D5 ($70k+ car) because I suggested the possibility of spending a few tens of dollars on new, factory parts instead of all the work you put in without the guarantee of success. It appears to have turned out well, but you did not know that would be the case.

I am all for solutions and working on my LR4. But if $40 gets me new, OEM knobs, it's a no-brainer, IMO.

Best of luck with your knobs.

I'll tell you as an mechanical design engineer that the paint you sprayed doesn't stand a chance at holding up as well as the factory knobs - not with heat cycles, oils, friction, etc. Hopefully it will last you long enough to have been worthwhile.

So much for trying to be helpful.

I was referring to iconoclast but just trying to help nonetheless! I think I quoted you just in reference to the info I was trying to share. I feel the same way, I was just showing what worked for me and I got some lame response on why I didn’t just buy new knobs, everyone has their way of problem solving, in my opinion take it or leave it.

Anyway, see ya!

bucwolfser

Reaction score
My knobs are sticky too! After reading this, I popped one off and will be cleaning them this week. Thank you!

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

johnnwalters

Full Access Member
Reaction score
JPJP thanks for starting this thread. My 2010 LR4 has the same problems with the door panel "leather" and the knobs. My wife just bought some knob covers that fit over the existing knobs. They're made of plastic and although they're silver in matches the rest of the silver trim. These were very easy to apply and have an adhesive tape inside the cover to stay on the original knobs. I'll find out more information about them if you want but I know that it came from Amazon and the kit included all three HVAC and the two radio knobs as well.

As for the door leather trim, I don't know what caused it as it's on both front doors,

johnnwalters

Full Access Member
Reaction score
IMG_1948.jpg
Knob covers.

johnnwalters

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks. Yeah I cleaned off the rubber ones a couple of times with alcohol but they still degrade over time. Kind of like me.

Louis Heinz

Reaction score
If you go on Amazon; search for LR4 covers and you’ll find brushed aluminum finished covers that already come with the 3m tape. All you do is peel the tape and place it on top of the button. It covers the rubber and looks really good. 5 covers for havoc and radio buttons for $16usd. image.jpg

mateored

Full Access Member
Reaction score
There are a bunch of options now to deal with the sticky knobs. I just ordered these on Amazon: https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B097GYKB9W/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

They look like exact replacements (i.e., not covers) for the 3 HVAC knobs. They should be here within a day or two. Worth a shot for $18.

Meanwhile, I'm having the same issue with the vinyl on my door sills/armrest. I think I may try to get a leather/vinyl repair guy to try to patch it. I think they use some kind of brush-on liquid application.

Also, the fake walnut wood grain piece under the screen is all faded. Anyone know where to buy a replacement that will match the rest of the "wood" trim? It's the same color as Louis Heinz's in the post directly above.

Thanks!

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sawcut