Weird cornering performance - Help

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

macrover

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the replies. No DSC light came on and it only happened on the one side...turning the other way was fine at the same speed. The brakes are brand new...new rotors on the front but I didnt replace the back...looked ok and brake place said it would be ok but the pads would take time to seat.

I need to take it out to recreate the problem. I am still wondering if the sidewall of the tire has a problem that only appears at "speed" and cornering. But can a sidewall have problens or wouldn't just blow altogether?

Houm_WA

Full Access Member
Reaction score
@angas: That may be either your wheel angle sensor or the brake pedal sensor. Cheap fix, relatively speaking. I had a similar fault, although mine always cleared up on re-booting.

@macrover: There is no problem to re-create...that's the point. You may not have seen, heard or otherwise noticed the DSC light coming on, but I can't imagine that this scenario was anything other than a DSC instantiation.

If that doesn't satisfy you, well then...have fun chasing the lunatics in your head.

NeilP

Reaction score
Is the vehicle sitting totally level when parked up ? Mine wasn't and exhibited
the very same symptoms as yours . Maybe I've a sensor on-the-way-out and the
next stage is a failure ? I reset it with a twist of the Sasquatch rods , and
it's fine now. Had been higher on the opposite side to the road curve , hence the G
force was detectable and cut power/applied front left brake. These Stability systems
really do work these days ! Stops the Boy-Racers ...........
It's interesting to note that it's not possible to totally switch it off ; remains partially
active , as with Mercs.

macrover

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ok.....point taken that it is most likely stability control Kicking in. Just very strange that it only is on one side of the vehicle. It definitely caused me to feel a loss of control which is kinda the opposite of what DSC should do. I'll have the sensors checked.

NeilP

Reaction score
Loss of control , as in power cut and braking without your actioning ?
That's how it works ............

Houm_WA

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It makes COMPLETE sense that it was on one side of the vehicle. The DSC works at each corner. Retards engine power and/or brakes individual wheels as required to prevent fish-tailing. Not only should it be on one side of the rig, but if you were really in-tune you could probably determine which wheel was getting braked.

Take a sip of your coffee, relax...your LR3 is fine.

macrover

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Mystery solved

So it ends up not being my driving, nor the car's antilock antiroll etc....guess what it was....a lovely failed part (another). Lower passenger ball joint is gone...now clunks over curbs and makes the ABS come on on any tight outside corner. Oh the joys of being off warranty. Im told $800 fix if im lucky. Getting some quotes this week. Time to say bye bye to a great vehicle as now without warranty I"ll need a large bankroll to keep this rig going. :-(

zulu

Full Access Member
Reaction score
macrover..where you from? Not only did your experience spark my interest but you said you were going to Whistler.. you from the LMD?

kingfishgrapeja

Full Access Member
Reaction score
$800????? the part is $49.95 on roverparts.com. It looks like a pretty simple DIY so I can't imagine that it would take a shop more than 1.5 hours. Find an indy or a buddy with tools.

macrover

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Lml

Hey Zulu, yes from the LML....drive the sea to sky a ton and like taking the LR3. You in the area?

I am off warranty and just found a Rover mechanic in Langley that the truck is going into. I hope it is a $40 part and less than $800. That would be a pleasant surprise.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tango90