What's with the evoques

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

eye.surgeon

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I know this is the LR4 subforum, but it looks to me like there is a huge backlog of evoques at many dealerships. My local dealer, which does not have a single new LR4 or Range Rover / Sport in stock has no less than 15 evoques just sitting on the lot collecting dust. Are they not selling or are they just building way too many, or are they dumping them all in the US market?

Lone Star landy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Between the three Houston Land Rover dealers there are, according to their websites, 52 Evoques, 12 FFRR/RRS, and 2 LR4s.

epiclr4

Full Access Member
Reaction score
From what I have been told the Evoque is just like the LR2 in that the demand has fallen off or isn't there at all.

My dealership told me that what happens is, say they want a RRS and an LR4. In order to do that LR says they have to take delivery of 3 LR2's as well. It seemed like they basically get forced on the dealerships.

It seems to me like the way LR does business is quite odd. The more I hear the more I understand the survey reports.

NASdiesel

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm just glad my dealer is finally using them for service vehicles. I did not enjoy getting a rental chevy or other car every time I dropped it off.

danrhiggins

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Total speculation here but could they be building these to balance the overall MPG average of their fleet? My dealership has more than it knows what tomdo with. They said they sold well for the first couple months then stopped. I also wonder if LR is too pleased with themselves over the style do the RRS and Evoque. Then there is the fact that there's a lot of competition in that market. Makes me wonder if LR will be able to stay in business with decisions like this. It's got to be killing them to have all that inventory laying around.

epiclr4

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I will say that things are flying off the lot in other categories at my dealership. They got a RRS SCV6, pretty basic model in a week ago and it is already gone. Same for another higher end RRS SCV6, sat on the lot for 2 weeks and was gone. Only one that has sat on the lot for about a month now is the RRS SCV8 that's almost touching $100K.

Seems like they are doing just fine other than the LR2's and Evoques.

danrhiggins

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I will say that things are flying off the lot in other categories at my dealership. They got a RRS SCV6, pretty basic model in a week ago and it is already gone. Same for another higher end RRS SCV6, sat on the lot for 2 weeks and was gone. Only one that has sat on the lot for about a month now is the RRS SCV8 that's almost touching $100K.

Seems like they are doing just fine other than the LR2's and Evoques.

Good point. Their RRS's and FFRR's go almost immediately or are pre-ordered. They had those 10 LR4's and most of those are gone. There is one white LUX LR4 still sitting on the showroom floor but it has a number of accessories on it including $3K rack/light setup and therefore they are asking around $77K. (It has been there for a couple of weeks. I keep going in and using it to get interior measurements, etc.)

But the Evoques aren't moving. I wonder if this portends what might happen with the new Discovery Sport if they don't get it right. If it ends up looking like so many other brands out there they may struggle to sell them.

GoLoaf

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Total speculation here but could they be building these to balance the overall MPG average of their fleet?

This would be my guess.

I like the Evoque. It's a novel get-around-town vehicle, but their price point can get close to $50k. Which is CRAZY. Maybe they'd sell if the price was in the 30/35 range. Still pricey for a car that size, but the Range Rover pedigree would justify that.

danrhiggins

Full Access Member
Reaction score
This conversation reminded me that when I have seen people checking out Evoques at my dealership the past couple weeks they have always been parents shopping for a car for their daughter. (Graduation gifts) I saw 3 or 4 of those. So maybe that is the market segment they are shooting for. Most young singles/families can afford a vehicle like this - especially with so many options out there. Its too small to be a family car.

PeterA

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My feeling, at least from what I see out here on eastern, Long Island, is its a case of further dilution of the brand. What started with those innovative thinkers at Ford creating the Freelander has carried on with the RRS line and now the Evoque. LR was always a niche company with a small but extremely loyal customer base. Ford didn't get it and in my humble opinion either does Tata. RR, RRS and LR4 are the most popular SUV's seen out here. They are everywhere. The only Evoque I ever see is the one that sits on top of a fancy rock pile at the dealership.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dandavies9