Wheels and Tires?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Asilver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Curious if anyone has had any long term (ish) experience with 255/65/19 duratracs yet and what the feedback is?

ryanjl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
@Pfunk951 has them on his. Did well ad the Aristocrat Land Rover off road event this past October.

Pfunk951

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Indeed, I put on the 255/65/19 last tire change. After 2k on them, about 60/40 on/off road I've formed a pretty good opinion of them:

I absolutely love 'em.

I was previously running stock sized Duratracs, they were much better than stock tires but with almost no sidewall. I wanted something with more sidewall and a larger diameter, but as a certified tire/wheel idiot I didn't know where to turn. I did a little research and it *sounded* like these fit, but I also heard about having to cut stuff out of the wheel wells which was a big deterrent.. I rolled the dice and this is the reality:

1. These are significantly bigger. if you have a rack on, and park in the garage, you had better get out your tape measure before slapping these on. I have under 1" of clearance from my garage door now at standard height. Also, if going from stock size, you notice when you first get in you're now stepping slightly "up" into your rig, not "in" to it.

2. There was a noticeable improvement in performance. These things do significantly better over Terra Firma, and Terra not-so Firma. The smaller off-road chatter is now soaked up instead of annoying, and these clutch larger features with better command. Big improvement in rocky mud.

3. They do rub in the front. This was the biggest scare about going to this size, as I didn't know what "rubbing" meant. Am I going to rip my wheel well up? Am I going to tear a fender off? This business was scary, but now that I took the plunge I can report what this means.

Nearly nothing. It only touches in one spot, which is a smooth portion of the frame horn. Attached is a pic taken about 5 minutes ago. Again, 2k on the tires, I just got back from a 2 day, 70 mile off-road excursion with constant full chock/full articulation in the rain, snow, and mud while pulling an overlanding trailer. You can see the dark black stripe where I wiped my finger across it, it's still smooth.
Screenshot_20230122-220648_Gallery.jpg
It hasn't even wiped the paint off, and I've been offroad close to 10 times on these tires. I can hear it making a slight "tick" in the cab at full chock from the knobs brushing the frame on this spot, but that's it. I was pondering taking a little metal off to make clearance, but I figure that if its not even getting through the paint, it's fine.

No rub in the back.

I'll be getting another set when these wear out. Super happy with them.

MP

Last edited:

mm3846

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I wish they're more tire options than the 2 Goodyears. I am not a fan of the Duratracs, in my experience they're a great tire for the first 25-50% of their life then they lose all grip and get LOUD. The Goodyear Adventures are junk, too.

ftillier

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'm currently running the Toyo open country at3 in 255/60/19 and they seem really good so far. No rubbing.

Asilver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Indeed, I put on the 255/65/19 last tire change. After 2k on them, about 60/40 on/off road I've formed a pretty good opinion of them:

I absolutely love 'em.

I was previously running stock sized Duratracs, they were much better than stock tires but with almost no sidewall. I wanted something with more sidewall and a larger diameter, but as a certified tire/wheel idiot I didn't know where to turn. I did a little research and it *sounded* like these fit, but I also heard about having to cut stuff out of the wheel wells which was a big deterrent.. I rolled the dice and this is the reality:

MP

Really excited to hear the positive feedback and appreciate the detailed response!

Are you running the SYA kit with these or is the suspension stock? What have you done with the spare?

Got any pics with the tires on the truck?

Pfunk951

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Are you running the SYA kit with these or is the suspension stock?

I usually run about 1.5 inches above stock- OBDII adjustment for my taste/levelling the trailer. The folks who have done the geometry say that height has very little to to with the rub.. With this little lift and the new tires, I'm about 3" higher than stock tires/standard ride height.

What have you done with the spare? Pitched it, and am now using a wheel/tire that Ryan JL gave me. That reminds me, @ryanjl let me know when you're ready to knock out that fluid!

Got any pics with the tires on the truck?

Indeed.

New tires and 1.5" bump (check out that garage door clearance!!):

20221020_171307.jpg

Stock:

20221019_214522.jpg

ryanjl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
What have you done with the spare? Pitched it, and am now using a wheel/tire that Ryan JL gave me. That reminds me, @ryanjl let me know when you're ready to knock out that fluid!

Soon as it gets a little warmer out. Haha.

tdarling

Reaction score
Thanks you guys my tires are 19 inch so based on that would it be the Defender steelies or the Toyo AT III?? The Toyo does let you drive it for 500 miles as an evaluation.

ryanjl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks you guys my tires are 19 inch so based on that would it be the Defender steelies or the Toyo AT III?? The Toyo does let you drive it for 500 miles as an evaluation.

You have given us absolutely no information on which to base a recommendation. Regardless, this is probably a decision you'll have to make for yourself based on how much you want to spend and what you want to do with your Rover.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sawcut