When is it time to say goodbye?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

ktm525

Full Access Member
Reaction score
That seems to be a common thread. More of a hobby vehicle as they get older. The newest ones are now 6 years old and the newest V8s are nine.

ryanjl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I can see having mine for a while longer. I've done what I can do to prolong its life. Timing chain and guides have been done. Crossovers and water pump were refreshed just this past Spring. Suspension compressor is only 3 years old, and it's a fairly easy DIY job. Put new air struts on the front last Spring. Control arms have been done.

Thinking I'll hold onto it a few more years then examine what's on the market. By then, we'll know more about the reliability and issues with the ingenium engines in the new Defender, and the PHEV version should be available. My daily commute is only about 4 miles each way (and there are charging stations in my parking garage at work), so the idea of running full electric most of the time appeals to me.

greiswig

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The choices for vehicles that will cruise comfortably at 95mph on the highway, seat seven or haul a metric **** ton of gear, that allow you to comfortably sleep in the back, tow 7,500ish pounds, and then with a couple of button presses offer 90%+ of the off-road capability of a Jeep Wrangler are exceedingly limited.
I'd agree with this one. In my case, I had a Chevy Astro to haul my guitar and PA gear to gigs, a Jeep Liberty that I had done a little offroading in but which wasn't really capable, and a Model 3 Tesla that I bought cheap before the pandemic when I was still commuting.

Sold all of them and replaced them with the LR4. I still can't believe I can fit all my PA gear in there. And it's much more capable offroad than the Liberty was - a low bar, I admit.

That said, I'm glad I don't have to use it to commute much! He is a thirsty beast.

Paul Teague

Reaction score
Bought my 2013 LR 4 LuX for $28k. It has 130k miles on it. New timing, water pump, starter, injectors, spark plugs, radiator, alternator........... this year was an expensive year. I think I could get $20k for it.

magus

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Past 100k miles, you will need a second vehicle if you want to be able to diagnose and solve problems without a rental/loaner. Rentals have been an expense for me. I dont like the dealers, but the indies dont have loaners, and even if i self diagnose and order the parts, it's not always exactly all of them. So i have been down for weeks over the last several years, even though the repairs themselves are not that complicated, the downtime is pricey when renting a tahoe. My suggestion would be to put an order in for a rivian, Ineos grenadier, (yes i have ordered both) whatever... and hold the land rover until that vehicle becomes available. then you have a piece of mind of the reliable vehicle coming, but can still enjoy the rover. And not have to pay the price of current dealer inventories.
Or Canoo!

ktm525

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It's too bad the D5 is what it is and frankly the Defender to me looks like a clown car (How many lights do you need in the rear?). The 4 is the end of the line of clean form follows function styling. A good-condition running example won't decline in price from here on out.

ryanjl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The Defender has grown on me a bit. The front end is the worst, but I've grown used to it. It also looks a lot better with the Australian-spec bullbar.

Two more years will also tell us a bit more about the Grenadier--for example, does it exist in the United States.

magus

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I can see having mine for a while longer. I've done what I can do to prolong its life. Timing chain and guides have been done. Crossovers and water pump were refreshed just this past Spring. Suspension compressor is only 3 years old, and it's a fairly easy DIY job. Put new air struts on the front last Spring. Control arms have been done.

Thinking I'll hold onto it a few more years then examine what's on the market. By then, we'll know more about the reliability and issues with the ingenium engines in the new Defender, and the PHEV version should be available. My daily commute is only about 4 miles each way (and there are charging stations in my parking garage at work), so the idea of running full electric most of the time appeals to me.
I have owned my LR4 for 10 years and a Tesla for 5, and they officially qualify as 'best vehicles’ ever. Somewhere between the two is some decent gas mileage one hopes. I think about selling the LR4 a little more often these days @ 100,000+ but it's tough to pull the trigger for a lot of the reasons mentioned above. I, too, have a Rivian R1T on order and think it might be the only truck to push the lr4 out.

Ryan- with a 4 mile commute you need to be thinking e-bike!

ryanjl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I would, but I'm one of the rare few who still have to be a little "dressed up" for work.

f1racer328

Full Access Member
Reaction score
103,000 miles and still a daily for me.

I don't have plans to get rid of mine anytime soon.

I'd like to eventually get an EV or something like a BMW M3, but I'll be keeping the Discovery.

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
OnoA