When is it time to say goodbye?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

modesto_man

Reaction score
For the past 10 years the maintenance costs on the LR4 are $0.104/km Canadian. About $0.12/mile US

Does not include fuel, registration and insurance or the purchase price

My Ridgeline is about half of that. That being said different vehicles and yes Land Rovers are not cheap to keep on the road.
Did you do much of the work yourself or was that having it serviced at the dealer?

ktm525

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Only thing done at a shop was two sets of LCAs and alignments, one of the water pumps and a transmission pan swap. There is $3150 worth of tires (winter and summers). The minor stuff all done at home (brakes, fluids, water pump, plugs, alternator etc).

BigBriDogGuy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
In a former life, I did sales for a custom boat trailer manufacturer. Often times, customers would call in with a complaint about the trailer years after purchase and the boss would say, "Well, that is a 'consumable' item." (Sometimes it was and sometimes... ) The point being that people generally are accepting of things that need to be replaced in a vehicle that are "consumed" in the process of driving it. For instance, gas, oil, tires, brake pads, windshield wipers, batteries, and so forth are things that everyone understands get consumed during the normal course of driving. Timing chains, transmissions, and things like that tend to be a different story. Those are seen as durable items that should last the life of the vehicle. Plus, the repair costs associated with replacing those items can be nearly as much as the value of the vehicle, if not more. In most cases, when an engine seizes people don't just say, "Oh well, time for a new engine, I guess."

ktm525

Full Access Member
Reaction score
That's a good point. Unfortunately the expensive stuff is consumable too and when one of those goes that is what determines the "life of the vehicle". A normal day to day soldier 15 years and/or 200k miles? My 2010 owes me nothing and likely when something big goes that will be the glue factory for her. Perhaps it will become a hobby project but I have places to go and people to see.. Perhaps I will part it out.

avslash

Full Access Member
Reaction score
That's a good point. Unfortunately the expensive stuff is consumable too and when one of those goes that is what determines the "life of the vehicle". A normal day to day soldier 15 years and/or 200k miles? My 2010 owes me nothing and likely when something big goes that will be the glue factory for her. Perhaps it will become a hobby project but I have places to go and people to see.. Perhaps I will part it out.

Put me in the "it owes me nothing" camp. But, what will likely keep me with the old girl for life is the cost of replacing her with anything remotely similar or capable.

A non-IBF defender is easily $70-$100K, a triple locked Rubicon is $65-$70K and those costs are before I modify anything to suit my needs. Compared against that, $15Kish to re-engine or $8kish to re-transmission my triple locked Rover with sunk modification costs of $12K-$16K starts to look pretty palatable. Admittedly, I might be different than most as my Rover in not a daily driver, but rather a dedicated camping, hunting, off-roading vehicle. At some point, engines, transmissions, differentials, etc are consumable items. The frame and chassis, not so much. Think Cuba. There are still 1950's American cars running around down there with all sorts of frankensteined mods to keep them on the road.

BigBriDogGuy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hey avslash, interesting observations.

This could be my last vehicle, and I'd be okay with that. It has everything that I need or want (or potentially so). I could see myself in a Sequoia or a 4Runner or Land Cruiser, but I kind of like the quirky quality of it being a Land Rover (something a bit different). Plus, I got into it for a lot less than those Toyota products.

One limiting factor that I never thought I would have to consider in my lifetime is the fact that they are attempting to force all gas powered vehicles off the roads. There was a time when I would have thought that was ridiculous, but here in Washington State they are putting a ban on all single-use grocery bags. The political powers-that-be can institute whatever they want and have the regulatory muscle to make it uncomfortable (or impossible) to push back. If they make it uncomfortable for auto manufacturers to produce gas powered vehicles or they take away gas station's ability to sell gas they can force people out of their gas vehicles and into something else. Even if it is unworkable, they can force it on everyone and make them adapt the best they can. Bottom line, the LR4 isn't a bad choice for the last gas powered vehicle I'll ever own and, if that's the case, I'm willing to put whatever money I can into it to keep it on the road.

mm3846

Full Access Member
Reaction score
No one is ever going to ban gas vehicles off of the road, outside of maybe major cities. Single use grocery bags have been banned in my county for years and we can still buy as much 93 as your wallet can allow.

BigBriDogGuy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
No one is ever going to ban gas vehicles off of the road, outside of maybe major cities. Single use grocery bags have been banned in my county for years and we can still buy as much 93 as your wallet can allow.
What country mm3846? I'm on the west coast of the USA. Hard to believe that a country started by a bunch of rebels with a flag that stated "Don't Tread On Me" and a State with the moto "Live Free Or Die" would be reduced to tolerating the prohibition of single-use grocery bags and straws.

mm3846

Full Access Member
Reaction score
What country mm3846? I'm on the west coast of the USA. Hard to believe that a country started by a bunch of rebels with a flag that stated "Don't Tread On Me" and a State with the moto "Live Free Or Die" would be reduced to tolerating the prohibition of single-use grocery bags and straws.
Suffolk county, NY, USA.

Single use plastics are pretty terrible and we should avoid them whenever possible… but this is a Land Rover forum so let’s keep it that way, eh?

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
OnoA