Why is the "most capable 4x4" so fragile ?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

gsxr

Full Access Member
Reaction score
We are in the same boat. There's nothing else available with the same feature set as the LR4. Specifically, we want to be able to fit at least six full-size adults without being cramped in the 3rd row. I'm not even sure the LR5 can do that with the sloping rear roofline...

o_O

avslash

Full Access Member
Reaction score
2 speed transfer case with locking capability
frame (ok perhaps a unibody )
stock recovery points
if you are lucky stock locking diff

I would add at least 2 feet of designed in water fording. My "off road" edition Nissan truck has the diff vents like 10 inches off the pavement.

My LR4 has done 39 or so inches of water on multiple occasions with nary a whimper. Some of the fun you can have in a hurricane in Houston.

gsxr

Full Access Member
Reaction score
THRITY NINE inches? Seriously? Wow! I thought the LR4 official wading depth was around 28". Do you have modifications that allow deeper swimming?

:eek:

Houm_WA

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Okay so now we are venturing into my differentiation of a "4x4" from a 4WD. A "real 4WD" simply has the hardware mentioned above. A 4x4 is designed with off-roading in mind. Angles, ground clearance, wading depth, lockers, crawl ratio, wheel travel...that is what really makes the LR3/4 separate itself.

What others are there? G Wagen, H3, H2 is a piece of ****, maybe JGC, 4Runner.

Now, just because those others pay attention to those things, don't mean they beat the Land Rover they do not!

Last edited:

gsxr

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Biggest drawback to the G-wagen, besides the insane prices, is they don't seat 7 adults comfortably. Yeah, I've seen the rear military-style jump seats for the G, but that's not the same as the LR4 third row.

(and I'm an MB fanboy, lol!)

:D

avslash

Full Access Member
Reaction score
THRITY NINE inches? Seriously? Wow! I thought the LR4 official wading depth was around 28". Do you have modifications that allow deeper swimming?

:eek:

275/70r18s and the suspension jacked all the way up. Along with me hanging out the driver's window making sure I keep the bow wave below the air intake.

Somewhere on this site I have posted a picture of a tape measure against the bottom of my air intake after somebody tried to call b******* on me in the past.

And for the love of God, do not stop when you are in the deep kimchee...

gsxr

Full Access Member
Reaction score
avslash, that is freakin' awesome.

I wonder how many crossover drivers got stranded in 12 inches.

:trytofly:

avslash

Full Access Member
Reaction score
avslash, that is freakin' awesome.

I wonder how many crossover drivers got stranded in 12 inches.

:trytofly:

I know I've mentioned it before, but it was kind of funny right after Harvey blew out.

It was myself and a couple of Jeep Wranglers just out wandering around suburbia getting a look at the carnage. We would wave each time we passed each other.

Very interesting to see the flooded out cars. In most cases, you could tell the driver had an "oh ****" moment and tried to take it over the curb and up onto the elevated median where they would get stranded in the mud and finally abandon the vehicle.

ktm525

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Anyone who has jacked up a LR4, took off a wheel and has done some work will soon understand why these things need maintenance. First thing one notices is how fancy they are. Lots of bits at each wheel. For comparison my Honda Ridgeline has about half the stuff and is much less sophisticated. Second you notice how overbuilt the Rover stuff is. Again my Ridgeline parts look like they came off a childrens toy compared to the Rover.

As the Germans figured out (or did they?) in WWII, heavy and fancy tends to break down more often and need more TLC. When it is all working it is awesome, when it is not you better know how to turn a wrench or have a trusted indy mechanic. At this point both my Rovers are "secondary" so repairs can be worked around and it isn't a crisis when **** breaks.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
washburn72