Will our LR4's be desirable in 10 - 15 years, or are they just another modern day LR?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

ryanjl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Wonder how many HD's are that there that are not listed as such, or that the current owner has no idea.

As for the OP's original question; Don't know, don't care. I don't ever really plan to get rid of mine. I have never had a vehicle that does so many things so well.

I currently have 5 vehicles right now, not counting the wife and daughters (yes, I like cars). I can honestly say the LR4 would be the last to go.

On the '14 to '16, I was just looking at interior photos and looking for the low-range switch for the center diff.

On the ones I found that that had the HD package, there was no mention of it at all in the listing.

backcountryLR4

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Wonder how many HD's are that there that are not listed as such, or that the current owner has no idea.

As for the OP's original question; Don't know, don't care. I don't ever really plan to get rid of mine. I have never had a vehicle that does so many things so well.

I currently have 5 vehicles right now, not counting the wife and daughters (yes, I like cars). I can honestly say the LR4 would be the last to go.

I looked at the pics of all the CPO LUXs on the LR site... yes, I need another hobby.

Easy to tell with the buttons who has HD and who doesn’t.

avslash

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I looked at the pics of all the CPO LUXs on the LR site... yes, I need another hobby.

Easy to tell with the buttons who has HD and who doesn’t.

I forgot that changed on the later models.

On the earlier 4's, there is no real way to tell other than looking for the actuator on the diff housing.

backcountryLR4

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Nope. Still has a few more months of fact warr though.

Nice. Well you take what you can get. Worth going through everything with a fine tooth comb (I recommend getting both batteries tested) and getting things replaced for free while you can.

I’ve got a couple years and 60k miles left on my warranty. I’ll for sure run out of time before I do miles. I’ll start the heavier mods like ARB bumper, winch, mount my air compressor, etc after the manufacturer’s warranty is up.

RobRover88

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I had a 1995 300tdi for 19 years here in Australia and replaced it in late 2014 only because it was getting close to needing a new clutch & it had a dodgy oil ring in one cylinder, plus getting cosmetically tatty.
I'd seen sketches of the then-upcoming D5 & didn't like what I saw.
I found only one Melbourne dealer with several in stock & bought a new mid-2014 build TDV6 for around
AUD$12,000- below list. It had everything I wanted (plus more) except no factory rear diff lock.
When the D5 - only called "Discovery", not D5 here in Oz, arrived I hated it with a passion - still do!!
LR have moved so far away from what a Land Rover "should" look like. Hopefully new Defender will look
something like a D4/D3 and be a vehicle that off-roading fans will WANT to drive across the central
Australian deserts & Victorian high plains. We can't even buy a bull-bar, rear wheel carrier, aux. fuel tank
or sliders here for the D5. A bull-bar is almost mandatory here because of the number of kangaroos on country roadsides around sundown. 'Roos make a terrible mess of the plastic front ends of any vehicle.
I'm now 70 but I'm planning to keep my D4 for as long as can keep driving. I've just bought Compomotive
18" rims so I can run BFG A/T KO2's, An Opposite Lock steel bull-bar with Narva 225 HID driving lights, A Kaymar rear steel bar with spare wheel carrier, a Brown Davis 110 litre aux. tank and A Safari Snorkel plus APT rock-slider/side steps & compressor & air-tank guards will be fitted in the next few months.
All up I'll have spent about AUD$14,000- on aftermarket gear when it's finished - not counting tyres.
That demonstrates my confidence that the D4 will be a seriously relevant vehicle for many years to come.
The D4 will be the LAST serious offroad Land Rover unless the new Defender delivers what we all want to see - a LR that "looks" right as well as being competent offroad. With the back-end of the D5 as it is it will
NEVER be a collectable Land Rover.

TrinidadLR4

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Interesting, I was looking for a LR4 for my wife, primary focus was the LUX, 2014-16 for her. So I found one bought it, got it home and found out it had the HD after I bought it. I didn't even look when I was searching, as it is for her....

I still like my L322....she likes her LR4!!!!

I am in the same boat. I bought my 2013 in late November and after finding the window sticker in the glovebox, turns out it has the HD package. I knew what it was when shopping but also knew it was rare and never expected to find one. A nice surprise!

timc930

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Nice. Well you take what you can get. Worth going through everything with a fine tooth comb (I recommend getting both batteries tested) and getting things replaced for free while you can.

I’ve got a couple years and 60k miles left on my warranty. I’ll for sure run out of time before I do miles. I’ll start the heavier mods like ARB bumper, winch, mount my air compressor, etc after the manufacturer’s warranty is up.

That's a nice feeling...

Yeah, Got a very small list to go back to dealer next week. My Warranty is up at the end of March. I'll hit that before mileage. Going to get them to do the BG Trans Flush as well, as I just don't want to mess with it. I'll do oil and brakes, and that's about it on this one. Not a big fan of the Jag motors.....yet. I can replace every coolant hose in the L322 (M62) in two hours max. Have the rad out in 15. I don't see that happening with the Jag motor, I'll need to get used to it....

Rest assured, this truck will be 100% urban rover for the next few years until she get's tired of it!!!! This truck won't even see the beach with the dogs! She drives the D90 or the IIa for that....

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
washburn72