Will our LR4's be desirable in 10 - 15 years, or are they just another modern day LR?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

TheWidup

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yeah. I've been getting the terrain and the d5 confused all the time. Chicago is a pretty hefty LR3/4 market and usually I'd expect to see d5's all over but it just hasn't happened. I think for most Volvo beat them to the punch for a 7 seat luxury bean mobile.

DaJammer

Reaction score
Yeeeeup.

Try finding a SCV6 CPO with HD package right now. There are 2 available in the whole country right now.

HD pack with LUX or Landmark? 1...

HD/LUX/Black-pack... Forget about it.

I almost missed the LR4 party. I had reluctantly come to the realization after a ski trip to the mountains in March 2016, that my family had outgrown my beloved FJ Cruiser. I began the search, and after much test driving and researching various brands, realized the LR4 ticked off all the boxes (and then some).

I had a fairly specific build in mind, and inquired at my local dealership if I could have one built to my specifications. I was told at the time (May 2016) that the factory wasn't taking any more orders and what was available and in the process of being shipped to the US, was it for the LR4's. That's when my sales guy started searching for me. I placed a much higher priority on acquiring a vehicle with the HD package over the color it came in. As such, he located a 2016.5 with HD and Silver Ed package in a color that I could live with, though not my favorite.

Over time, the color has grown on me. But a big part of that is the fact I am smitten with this truck. I read on this forum about everyone's love for the V8. But I have no regrets at all owning the SCV6. My family isn't growing in size anymore, so I can't see any reason to part ways with this exceptional vehicle. As a community, we are indeed fortunate to drive such an amazing vehicle!

Sunny07

Reaction score
Here is a article from the experts,

https://www.hagerty.com/articles-videos/articles/2016/05/18/long-shot-collectables

But it depends on 4 factors from my point of view desirability/holding its value long term:

1. The boxy/old school shape which is timeless and the only thing similar is the G Wagon and the Jeep Wrangler but if this is the last one from Land rover then yes, but looking at spy shots of the new defender which like other post mentioned looks really similar to the LR4, and is basically the spirtual succcessor then no.

2. Advancement of electronic vehicles within the next 10 years, then this era will be known as the last of the ICE era, a la similar to 60's muscle cars, so two categories that will receive big bumps is sports cars and off road vehicles.

3. Reliability/Ease to work on/repair: The LR4 fits the off road niche market with the Landcruiser/wrangler so it has that going for it but unlike the sports cars/racing which is considered a rich mans hobby, off-roading at least in America is still stereotyped hill billy/ bro truck and the budgets associated with that demographic is much lower thus having it to be reliable and easy to work on is a major deal. Disco 2 is gaining a niche status, and if LR3/LR4 prove to be more reliable and similar in ease work on than yes.

4. Rarity: Total Production numbers: this is self explanatory, I don't know how many were produced and how many are still on the road, I think other members know much more then me as i just recently got into the game but if there are only 1000 LR4's on the road in 15 years, your going to have something special.

References of common car brands that produced cars/trucks with good long term good desirability/resale value:

chevy ssr, vw phaeton, e39 M5, honda s2000/mk4 supras (90s japanese sports cars), fj cruiser, raptor, wranglers

ISLandy

Reaction score
I find the shape timeless as well, and certainly the V8 & SCV6 w/HD LR4s would seem to have a better chance of remaining relatively desirable. I ordered my 2015 HSE Lux w/HD because I wanted to make sure I got one before LR went further away from their roots. Plan to keep it as long as I can.

Gnomad

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have actually given up my search for a decent D2, the values of the good ones have started to rise above cheap project. On the other hand, LR4's are getting into cheap, sub 10k range. I'm thinking that it is the time to shop for your LR4 right now , we've seen this movie, think RR Classic values, D1, now D2 . Unless the Defender really hits it out of the park, we might think of the LR4 as the last of the "real" Rovers.

timc930

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yeeeeup.

Try finding a SCV6 CPO with HD package right now. There are 2 available in the whole country right now.

Yeeeeup.

Interesting, I was looking for a LR4 for my wife, primary focus was the LUX, 2014-16 for her. So I found one bought it, got it home and found out it had the HD after I bought it. I didn't even look when I was searching, as it is for her....

I still like my L322....she likes her LR4!!!!

backcountryLR4

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Interesting, I was looking for a LR4 for my wife, primary focus was the LUX, 2014-16 for her. So I found one bought it, got it home and found out it had the HD after I bought it. I didn't even look when I was searching, as it is for her....

I still like my L322....she likes her LR4!!!!

That is like winning the lotto in the current market...

Is it a CPO?

ryanjl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
That is like winning the lotto in the current market...

Is it a CPO?

Seriously. I looked on Cargurus a week or two ago just for kicks, and it took me until page 3 to find a '14 to '16 with the HD package.

avslash

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Seriously. I looked on Cargurus a week or two ago just for kicks, and it took me until page 3 to find a '14 to '16 with the HD package.

Wonder how many HD's are that there that are not listed as such, or that the current owner has no idea.

As for the OP's original question; Don't know, don't care. I don't ever really plan to get rid of mine. I have never had a vehicle that does so many things so well.

I currently have 5 vehicles right now, not counting the wife and daughters (yes, I like cars). I can honestly say the LR4 would be the last to go.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
OnoA