Will our LR4's be desirable in 10 - 15 years, or are they just another modern day LR?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

ryanjl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I guess I can see the low-trim D5s selling to people who feel their ugliness doesn't overwhelm the "Land Rover" cache, but who's buying upper-trim D5's and why aren't they buying Range Rover Sports? The RRS is a much better looking vehicle, in my opinion, and you get the "Range Rover" cache with it.

cpyleitz

Reaction score
If Land Cruiser can do it, why can't Land Rover? That said, I think e-trucks will go mainstream, there are lots of benefits like having backup batteries in remote places, and much cleaner and easier to maintain. I wish we can retain the LR4 form factor with modern technology, much like the way Leica retains more or less the rangefinder form factor in the digital age- nothing like going offroad in a box.

CaliDisco

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Absolutely!
They may not be worth a ton of money or become “collectible” per say but they will have a following for sure! The mix of great industrial design, big old school v8 power, a unique suspension concept, and the right amount of cushy Brit luxury and charm makes them truly unique in the automotive world.

Now, big question for everyone is DEFENDER!!!

Spy shots look to be almost an evolution of D4. And it will surely be loaded with the latest and greatest Powertrain engineering and tech. But even still, If one looks at other brands that have successfully cultivated and enthusiastic fan base like Porsche for example. The older models will always have a level of desirability.

RBA

Full Access Member
Reaction score
After reading the comments in this thread I'm seriously reconsidering my decision to put my 2013 LR4 up for sale.

When I first purchased it (I'm the original owner) I thought I would keep this truck forever as a third vehicle. So I purposely did all the maintenance early, did my own oil changes every 5K miles. Did a bunch of preventive stuff...and now after 5 years got a little bored of it. I still think its a very handsome design and I definitely prefer it over the current D5. I was considering making it into a dedicated offroader at one point so I imported the whole APT armor skids, dual battery setup, AT tires. Just needed to finish out the roofrack situation to carry an awning and gear and started to second guess myself, knowing that with 90K miles on it, I will probably have some high $ maintenance items to do in the next 2 or 3 years depending on mileage.

I think some of you guys might be correct that the last D2's that are clean and low miles could see prices come up, followed by LR3 and LR4's. I'm guessing the last of the LR4's with the V8's might be particularly desirable at a later point but they would need to be clean/stock and you're starting to see much less of those in the LR3's. I suspect as prices continue to fall for the LR4's, they will get butchered also. I also think that the trucks with center and rear lockers will probably demand a premium just like the Land Cruisers who have the electronic lockers.

TheWidup

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I guess it goes back to the point of: Do you buy a car for it to be worth more later or simply enjoy it while you have it? I'm on the side of enjoying it. It's a 4wd beast that makes my former f150 look like a chump. Until something comes along that strikes me as far better or more desirable I'm just going to keep smiling and driving.

Quijote

Full Access Member
Reaction score
For us, it was always meant to be the car for:

-family trips
-large item shopping hauling
-taking many passengers
-towing
-winter storm vehicle

For the first few years I used it as a daily driver since it was too new to leave parked. Now that I have a new car, it will be used for only the purposes listed above and minor use as a commuter for my wife to drive to the train station (that duty will be shared with our 3rd car).

So for us, it’s not a matter of pampering it, it will just not be driven that much. So it should remain a well taken care of, low-mile, HSE LUX with HD that is bone stock. No plans to sell it, but I’d like to think that if I ever do, it hopefully will not have been particularly expensive to have owned it.

I think that having paid $60k for it, if after 8 years it’s worth $20k or more, I’d be very happy. Whenever a nice car ends up costing $5k per year on average in depreciation, I feel that is pretty good.

I hope to keep it well past 8 years though.

RobRover88

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Unless LR make the long-awaited Defender a true Land Rover, with the "right" look & serious offroad
credentials, the D4's will be much loved for years to come. Probably not "collectable" in value terms, but as a serious offroader with looks to match. Here in Australia it's now possible to buy virtually anything you'd need for a D4 to travel our seriously tough terrain - Rear wheel carriers, Aux. tanks, bullbars, sliders
& with Compomotive 18" wheels you can fit the best A/T rubber. It doesn't seem that'll be the case with the current (ugly as sin) vehicle as it simply doesn't look "right" . No bullbars, carriers, tanks etc are available for the current model.
It's obvious that Toyota with the Landcruiser & Prado & Mercedes with the G-Wagon understand just what their customers want. LR just doesn't get it!!. The look-alike Evoque, Velar, RR Sport, Discovery, prove that LR are now in the fashion business & don't care about us guys who grew up loving serious Land Rovers for what they can do.
As the D4's appear more often in used car lots, more offroaders are going to use them for their intended purpose. The soccer mums can have the current disco for themselves!!

PaulLR3

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If I look hard and concentrate I see many D5s.

The problem is they’re well camouflaged. They look like so many other vehicles that unless you’re looking for them specifically they’ll go right by.

Unnoticed.

Frank8, you are correct. Now that I really looked for D5s, I saw 5 mid-day yesterday at the gym and supermarket. They certainly do blend in with all the other mom SUVs like the Q7, XC90, GLS, Explorer, Pilot, Highlander, etc.

donb

Reaction score
I think the Disco 2's could be desirable soon if a good/easy to install/not break the bank/ powerplant swap becomes available for it (LS, R2.8). We had a 99.5 when they were new and loved it but the power was lacking. D2's are great looking vehicles with solid frame, straight axles and coil sprung architecture. Same goes for the P38 RR.

For us, it was always meant to be the car for:

-family trips
-large item shopping hauling
-taking many passengers
-towing
-winter storm vehicle

I don't think there are any vehicles that check as many boxes as the LR4 and look as handsome. There was a Cadillac commercial (that you all probably know) that had a voice over saying how the Escalade stands out and is unique. Meanwhile the only vehicle in the commercial that did so was a muted LR4 (although I might be biased).

We just got a 2012 LR4 for my daughter and we love it (even with a timing chain swap already) as it has great visibility, maneuverability and actually handling for it's size/weight. She's looking at colleges in the northeast and Colorado so I feel it will be a solid rig wherever she goes. I just hope gas prices stay low as that is the one downsize of the LR4's (not necessarily the fuel economy but the fuel tank size).

As far as desirability in 10-15 years for the LR4 - I don't know. I think they will hold their values well but really depends on how the long term reliability (not mileage) goes with them.

cadillac_com.jpg

ragreene801

Reaction score
I think the V8s will be as desirable as the Wagoneers. Those were driven by a bunch of Moms too. These are boxy, capable, look awesome, and humans have to drive them. We are at the end of an era. People will eventually be buying these for fun, not daily drivers. Self driving cars are coming and the future of driving is as a hobby and these will check all the boxes for big motor, fun and looks.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
washburn72