Will our LR4's be desirable in 10 - 15 years, or are they just another modern day LR?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Quijote

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Slightly off topic, but this thread made me think of it... What percentage of Discovery I's, II's and LR3's do you guys think are still on the road?

Disco I's are 20 years old now. Are even 10% left on the road? I hardly see any. Maybe some have become dedicated off-roaders.
Disco II's?
LR3's? These are about 10-12 years old. I don't see that many on the road.

I think LR4's are still too new to not invest to keep them running, but we are probably not too far away from the first LR4's being well over 100k miles and a decade old and if something pricey goes wrong or get into an accident involving more than a fender bender, they start getting totalled or traded in and discarded.

ryanjl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Living in Kansas City, I'm just a bit southwest of the rust belt. I don't see too many Disco I's. I see quite a few DIIs. Of the Discovery series, I see the most LR3s. Of Land Rover in general, I probably see the most of either LR3s, the L322 Range Rover, or the L320 Range Rover Sport. I see the occasional Defender, and I absolutely geek out when I see a Range Rover Classic.

I had read that Land Rover made a major leap forward in reliability with the LR3. As a former Disco I owner, I believe it. I owned my D1 for about a year and got out of it just in time. My sister bought a 2005 LR3 when it was brand new and kept it until this past summer, putting around 140k miles on it living in Alaska, Oklahoma, the DC area, and Seattle, and performing the general maintenance things that we are all aware of (LCA bushings, air compressor, etc.) At the time they bought the LR3, they also still had a D2. That thing was a headache, going through a few rear main seals and the D2 head problems.

The first generation of the L322 came out in around 2003, when Land Rover was still under BMW ownership. The Range Rovers with BMW drivetrains have proven to be maintenance nightmares. They got more reliable when they moved onto the JLR drivetrain in around 2006, but, for some reason, the Range Rovers still seem less reliable than the LR3/LR4 lineup. Maybe more doodads to go wrong.

The biggest problem with the "collectability" of the LR4 is that it isn't really emblematic of any one thing. It's a luxury SUV that retains some off-road ability. The retro SUVs that are hot right now (40 and 60-series Land Cruisers, Jeep Grand Wagoneers, Broncos, etc.) are hot because they are no-frills, "real" trucks, with not much crap meant to coddle the driver. You can't buy that now.

In the future, you will probably be able to buy a better version of the LR4 (i.e. something more luxurious with the same off-road ability, better fuel mileage, etc.), unless all manufacturers go to the warmed-over jellybean styling.

TheWidup

Full Access Member
Reaction score
In the future, you will probably be able to buy a better version of the LR4 (i.e. something more luxurious with the same off-road ability, better fuel mileage, etc.), unless all manufacturers go to the warmed-over jellybean styling.
Somehow I doubt this point. I don't see much staying in the box style unless it's a Merc or way outside player. It's possible that the new defender, if it ever shows up, would fit this bill but I would bet that it's focused on ability before fuel economy and luxury.

ryanjl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I will severely doubt the new Defender will be available without leather interior and trim, heated and cooled seats, etc. Not to mention adaptive cruise control, lane keep assist, and other electronic nannies. Meanwhile, if LR is to be believed, it will be their most off-road capable vehicle ever. It's also almost certain to get better fuel mileage, especially with the diesel variant.

So long as it's boxy, it will be a better version of the LR4 when viewed in about 10 to 15 years' time. The LR4 probably won't be anyone's respite from anything newer on the market.

cergos

Reaction score
Your 2011 LR4 is not replaceable - the iconic model shape is finished - just like the iconic defender shape.
I sold my trusty 2012 Defender for one of the last shipment of D4's - it is my 'Gentleman's Defender - all the comfort, style, practicality I need for the next decade at least.
If you want the LR4 style, the capability, the LR badge, then maintain it carefully and enjoy being a member of the LR family. Good design doesn't age and great traditions live forever!

Last edited:

Dryflyrod

Reaction score
I’m hoping they will be classic. I wanted a 59-60 Willeys Wagon. My wife said “NFW will you park that in our driveway.” So I bought an 07 LR3 and plan on keeping it until I die. I do and will always keep it in top mechanical shape, but I’ll let nature, off-roading, fly fishing, camping, and hauling stuff create a patina to show its true worth and beauty.
Wish me luck!

Houm_WA

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I mean that sounds like a nice patina :)
...but some of that stuff is really cheap and easy to eradicate. I've had half a dozen dings removed and updated things like wheel arches and windshield cowlings cheaply. Now that I'm better equipped to maintain them I can make them last forever. I'm an avid detailer now....and the engine stuff is a matter of reading the forms and replacing stuff before it becomes a problem.

I've had my '05 since, well...before it left the factory...and it looks and drives as new. It costs $ to maintain but it's worth it.

Unless the Defender is a knockout, the LR3/4 is the last of the finest (LR).

PaulLR3

Full Access Member
Reaction score
While many think the front of the D5 looks like an Explorer, I just saw a Traverse parked next to a D5 and they look similar from the rear. At least GM centered the license plate. No wonder D5s blend in with all the other generic family hauling SUVs.

RxVVI3fpeGIioBex1dZNDTb7oDsrAbtLYv4KoW4B7mLKW0iyyw.jpg

NEicFjvZt_JoOe544fuvIOSoK_-A4xYD1EJxQTmYrj2LkpDvlw.jpg

Quijote

Full Access Member
Reaction score
While many think the front of the D5 looks like an Explorer, I just saw a Traverse parked next to a D5 and they look similar from the rear. At least GM centered the license plate. No wonder D5s blend in with all the other generic family hauling SUVs.

RxVVI3fpeGIioBex1dZNDTb7oDsrAbtLYv4KoW4B7mLKW0iyyw.jpg

NEicFjvZt_JoOe544fuvIOSoK_-A4xYD1EJxQTmYrj2LkpDvlw.jpg

Wow, that is crazy!

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
OnoA