Winter Tires - Size Options?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

94speedster

Full Access Member
Reaction score
We bought our "Black Metropolis" edition LR4 last spring, and traded in our '08 LR3 (best SUV we have ever owned). We love the new LR4, but are really struggling with finding the proper snow tires. Living in Park City Utah, we get our share of snow (500+ inches last year). The LR4 is my wife's DD, and she averages 30-35K miles per year on the SUV commuting daily from Park City to Salt Lake City. Our LR4 came with the optional 20 inch wheels that run 255/50R20 tires. In September, I called Tire Rack and asked for the best light truck/snow tires. They recommended the Pirelli Ice & Snow in the OEM size, and I paid $1300. So far, we have put 7k on those tires and have had a mild winter. They have been great tires on icy road conditions.

Well, today we had a big storm. SImply put, those tires don't cut it in 4+ inches of unplowed roads. The BEST tires we have ever owned were Blizzak DMV1s which we had on the LR3 (235/65R18 FWIW). They could push through a foot of unplowed snow at high speeds and not blink. My wife fell in love with Rover with those tires...

I really want those tires on my LR4! I have two choices, and could use your advice: 1) buy new 18 or 19 inch wheels, and fit the DMV1s, OR fit DMV1s to the 20 inch wheels with a slighly different section width and aspect ratio. I'd prefer the second option!

So can I run 245/50s? I know that they will be a bit more narrow (that is good), but the aspect ratio will be the same as the OEMs. This means that the diameter of the wheel + tire will be .4 inches less than the OEM size. The circumference will be 1.3 inches less as well. Of course, this will affect my speedometer readout by a few mph. I am okay with that trade off.

What would you guys do?

Thanks!
-Blake

BTW - one of the things we have learned living here for the last twelve years is that the inside and outside edges of the winter tires really matter! Many snow tires have gradual slopes on their edges (our Pirellis have this), but the BEST snow tires have almost a "right angle" edge. This allows the vehicle to grip better when turning in packed or unpacked snow. It makes a huge difference...

Last edited:

94speedster

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks guys for the feedback. I keep debating getting a dedicated winter wheel set. My only concern with the Nokians is that they have a "curved edge" on the sidewall rather than a protruding right angle. In unplowed snow greater than 4 inches, that is the difference between turning and not turning (ask me how i know). ;)

I have posted a pic of the Nokians (left) and the Bridgestone Blizzak DMV-1s to show the difference...

-B

Nokian.jpg

Blizzaks.jpg

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TeriM