Wrangler MTR vs Pirelli Scorpion ATR

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

cbboard

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I know the tire discussions have been covered at length as I have searched/read numerous threads on the subject over the past few years. However, it has come time for some new tires on my 19" rims, and I am hoping to go more aggressive this go around as I should have more time to take the LR3 offroad. I currently have the Michelin Synchrones, which provide a very plush ride. The LR3 still will be my every day driver to work. I wanted to see if anyone with any experience with the MTRs or Pirelli ATRs had any thoughts. Currently, I am leaning towards splurging on the MTRs and dealing with any road noise/vibration. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance!

morrisdl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I get off roading 2-3 times a year and used to tolerate a Jeep wrangler, but M/T tires are too hash for everyday use for me. There is also a MPG impact to consider. I run A/T everyday and I am very happy with the balance. My A/Ts are not the best for cornering or deep mud, but everything in between is miles of smiles. YMMV.

goinsurfin

Reaction score
Both tires are excellent 19" selections but function in 2 different directions. I've had the ATRs for over 25k and they are great on road, very quiet. I've driven on trails and they do the job without a question- including moderate muddy trails- even pulled out a H2 that bottomed out in a serious muddy area- i too was in a slick spot.. ATRs do have their limits for serious off roading- esp serious mud- that is where the MTRs will work very well. Most owners use 18" tires b/c of the wide selection as you have read elsewhere.... For me, I'd love to put MTRs on but I don't have the opportunity to ride trails as much as I'd like to make them worth while. if I did have MTRs, I'd deal with the noise and reduction in mpg.. I hope this helps.

Kenjengrif

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Normally I run the Michelin Synchrones, but they dont do that well in mud, got stuck a few times. I needed something more agressive, but didnt want the noise of MTRs all the time. So, I took the plunge and got an extra set of used 19" rims to mount the MTRs on. The MTRs work well for the offroading I do. Not expecting them to be tops in deep snow, I decided to put them on after the first big snow here in Virginia and they've proven to good in the snows we've had here so far.

drzjoint

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I would run the mtr the noise will not be like in a jeep your vehicle is very well insulated from noise. Guys are getting around 50k on them as well. You won't regret them especially when you get on the trail. and they look sick on the LR3

Kenjengrif

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The MTRs aren't deafening, but they do have a good hum to them. I just didnt want to give up that smooth ride on long trips and its not a big deal, but my mileage dropped by about 1 mpg. They do look pretty good on the truck.

Houm_WA

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I run the MT/Rs on separate rims and Synchrones 95% of the time. If I couldn't do that, I'd run an AT tire 100% of the time.

e24kgold

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I just got the Pirelli ATR and love them. Had them in deep mud two days ago and they did great. Perfect combo of on road manners and off road grip

roverman

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Somehow I think there HAS to be different perceptions of 'deep mud' and 'did great', since by no means is it anywhere close to a mud tire.

foofighter

Full Access Member
Reaction score
as much as i like the look of the MTR's i have to be realistic and honest w/ myself...do that i do that much offroading to warrant such a tire? out here in socal there's not much mud so I will more than likely go w/ the Pirelli's

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TeriM