Xenon Headlight issue

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

dvansh

Reaction score
Hello,

I seem to be having issues with my driver side headlight. When I try and turn on the headlights, there seems to be a slight spark from the headlight but it never turns on.

Any ideas?

Thank you

RvDUB

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Sounds like the Xenon bulb is going. Or it may be the power regulator...

vladyshka13

Full Access Member
Reaction score
That would be the bulb. I had the same issue on my Mercedes. Go to the dealer if you still under the warranty. If not, buy the bulb on ebay. Most likely you'll need to replace passenger side bulb too, otherwise there might be light color difference

ygrowup

Reaction score
When these bulbs go, they really go. One blew on my a few weeks ago the the whole thing melted. Ebay is the cheapest place to go. Dealers here in Canada want $300 a bulb!!! Aftermarket places run from about $70 to $170. All for the same bulb.
When you order from ebay, just make sure you get the right colour. If I remember correctly, ours is 5000. They come is many colours 5000, 6000, 7000, etc.

dvansh

Reaction score
Thanks for the, info. I am going to try and pull the bulb out tonight with out getting shocked! All the warnings are worry some on the assembly.

I did check ebay, but also Atlantic British seem to have them for 143USD.

Hopefully this is it and not an electrical issue!

Houm_WA

Full Access Member
Reaction score
These lamps are supposed to be good for 12,000 hours! I'm thinking that if you are replacing one it's due to a "failure" and not just a regular "burnt out bulb" like with a more classic Halogen (or other incan). Usually this is something that happens at the anode or cathode from being sparked so many times.

Can you please report on your usage of the headlamps? Do you use them all the time? Turn them on/off all the time? Stupid question: You're absolutely certain they are Xenon, right?

ygrowup

Reaction score
My Xenon lasted me 90,000 km. I do leave them on all the time.
You can find after market xenon bulbs on ebay for as little as $17. They may not last as long but at that price, who cares?

dvansh

Reaction score
I just pulled my bulb out and it has a dark spot right in the middle of the tube.

Yep, it is toast and is xenon (has the funky bar running outside and parallel to the tube.. I keep my lights on the Auto setting.

Funny though, I just hit 90500Km this week! Must be karma!

Hopefully can find a store that sells them locally for cheap, if anyone fits and its cheap!

Let you know what I end up with. Thanks for all the help on this.

StevenJ_AK

Full Access Member
Reaction score
xtralights.com make some super high quality long lasting bulbs, in fact ive had their xetronic kits and bulbs in everyone of my vehicles for the past 7 years! prices arent the cheapest but ive swapped mine out for 6000K ds2 bulbs and am very very happy.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Vintage99