YATT (Yet Another Tire Thread)

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

di_LR3_co

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ok.. So, I am nearing 18K on my goodyears.. For the most part, they have worn pretty evenly.. One tire has worn a bit more on the inside than the others, but I think that due to a lack of rotating before I got it from the dealer (bought an 06 SE V8 as a dealer demo with 6K)

So, as fall approaches in Colorado, I would like to get some nice *upsized* tires. I would like to get some thoughts / experiences on:
** Goodyear Silent Armors - they look pretty nice.. saw them at a local tire dealer, right next to the toyo open countrys..
** toyo open country / nitto terra grapplers - seems like the rubber is a bit softer than the goodyears
** coopers

here are my driving habits:
-- 1 weekend a month, land rovering (off roading)
-- business week, 100 miles max
-- winter season, every weekend trucking through snow up to the mtns

any thoughts would be appreciated!

bgsntth

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I "think" the Silent Armors only have a load index of 110. My experience with the Toyo AT's is that they are very grippy, but do wear more than others. I'm currently looking at the Yoko A/T-S in a 275/60-18 with a load index of 116, but am trying to obtain more info on snow/ice traction. The Yoko's also come in a 265/60-18, but with a load index of 110.

I think I worry about the load index too much, but I hate mushy sidewalls.

I really like the Revo's on my GX, but they do not offer anything for 18" LR3's.

nwoods

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Have you thought about the BFG AT's? Not as soft/grippy as the Terra Grapplers, but undoubtedly longer lasting, respected for off road ability, and quite good in the snow from what I hear. They have them in 265/65/18 now.

duckdive

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Are those Yokos available yet? Last thing I heard was they were still hung up in production.
Gave up the Nittos Mr. Woods??

nwoods

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Gave up the Nittos Mr. Woods??

Not at all, I still have mine on, but they are getting pretty close to that point where I need to replace them. I have a new set of Coopers that I will be putting on soon (probably next week), just as an experiment. If not for the great deal I got on the Coopers, I would be trying the BFG's. You just can't find anything negative about them. Work well in a variety of conditions, great sidewall protection, long lasting tread life, and great warranty. I know the Nitto's are good, now it's time to try something else. I enjoy new expereinces, I just hope they are good ones!

dantheman1

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Im running the silent armors and have to say they are absolutely the best tires i have ever had. They've been on the lr3 for a good 5k miles now, and they are great. They are very quiet on the highway and have not let me down off roading yet either. i have them in 265/60 18 (i think, i could be wrong and am too lazy to go outside and check).

JohnKel

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Im running the silent armors and have to say they are absolutely the best tires i have ever had. They've been on the lr3 for a good 5k miles now, and they are great. They are very quiet on the highway and have not let me down off roading yet either. i have them in 265/60 18 (i think, i could be wrong and am too lazy to go outside and check).

I'll second the recommendation for the silent armor 265/60 18 tires... I have over 10k on mine with no sign of wear and, on the trails at the LRNR, they handled superbly and were very,very quiet on the 3150mi round trip. I doubt that there are any better on/off road tires out there....however, time will tell :smile:

Cheers,
John part time gentleman and taxi for the better known :wink:

di_LR3_co

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So.. I have dragged my feet on getting the tires.. I am trying to push it as much as I can on the goodyears.. (wanted the tax write off in 2008) .. i have come down to two choices

1) good year silent armors (of the wranger variant) in 265/60/18
2) cooper zeon ltz in 285/60/18

the internal debate right now is:
a) what is the advtange / trade off of going with a 265 v. 285
b) which is better in snow / ice (subjective obviously)

if anyone can shed some light on either i would appreciate it.

thanks

kz

davez26

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So.. I have dragged my feet on getting the tires.. I am trying to push it as much as I can on the goodyears.. (wanted the tax write off in 2008) .. i have come down to two choices

1) good year silent armors (of the wranger variant) in 265/60/18
2) cooper zeon ltz in 285/60/18

the internal debate right now is:
a) what is the advtange / trade off of going with a 265 v. 285
b) which is better in snow / ice (subjective obviously)

if anyone can shed some light on either i would appreciate it.

thanks

kz
265 vs 285, 20 mm width difference, appx 3/4 inch. The wider the tire, the more "float" over snow and ice, rather than pressure digging down and getting traction.
In Ice and Snow, look for more blocks and sipes (cuts) in the tread. The more diverse the tread, the more surface area to grab snow and into ice.
FWIW, I'm in Colorado Springs and use the BFG A/T with no issues. Those things rock!
If I had to choose one of those tires for around here, I'd go w/ the Silent, nice block design and not too wide. Looks as if it should grip well.

AdvRide

Reaction score
I run the 285 Nitto's and the only concern I ever have is if I had to ******** chains for some reason. The clearance on the inside between the sidewall and the upper control arms is next to nothing. Not sure there is even enough clearance to install the flat strap type. For sure not enough for the old chain strap type.

I would be interested to know if anyone has had to use chains of any type with this size on the LR3 ?

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Vintage99