Tire Styling

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

mbw

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Great news! Can't wait to see them mounted on your LR4.

I wonder if your center cap will fit on them? I know Umberto had mentioned his stock Land Rover center caps were slightly too small. I forget what he did for a fix?

Keep us posted - very excited for you!

Regards, David

I ended up ordering some black land rover centercaps from http://www.ebay.com/itm/321170409987?ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1439.l2649

They were really cheap and from hong kong, so it will take awhile to get here. Im hoping those fit. If I have to use a little sealant and just stick them on, thats fine. I didnt want to use the center caps from my other wheels, since they are not black.

Next I need to figure out how to load all this crap into and onto my rover and get it all to the tire place.

$(KGrHqJHJFMFHcTZRQf8BR7qh,V90w~~60_57.jpg

Finlayforprez

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I ended up ordering some black land rover centercaps from http://www.ebay.com/itm/321170409987?ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1439.l2649

They were really cheap and from hong kong, so it will take awhile to get here. Im hoping those fit. If I have to use a little sealant and just stick them on, thats fine. I didnt want to use the center caps from my other wheels, since they are not black.

Next I need to figure out how to load all this crap into and onto my rover and get it all to the tire place.

$(KGrHqJHJFMFHcTZRQf8BR7qh,V90w~~60_57.jpg
Yep, those will look great. Those are the caps that I have, as they come with the black design package.

I know a few folks with the Compomotives that had no problem with the center caps fitting, but then I heard of a few others where they had to use a bit of adhesive since they were slightly too small. Maybe this non-OEM ones will fit nicely. Looking forward to seeing the finished results and hearing your thoughts.

-David

umbertob

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Beauties. Yours made it all the way to your office chair I see... Mine never got beyond my warehouse door.

Did you get hubcaps?

PS: Nevermind, missed the above replies... The importer of Compomotive here in California apparently has blank hubcaps that will fit, in case you are having trouble with yours (mine - black, OEM but looking exactly like yours - are staying put no problem after applying a bead of Form-a-gasket non hardening sealant.)

60684215.jpg

Last edited:

mbw

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I did get 5 btw, you just can't see all of them in the pictures. put one wheel and tire in the 2nd row seats.

mbw

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well... the 265/65R18 spare fits... but this is what you have to do.

Here is a stock wheel being lowered. You can see the heat shield behind it. It is unfortunately in the way of any tires larger than stock.

20130821_191218_455_1_zpsdbb3c1e4.jpg

So remove it, and you have the following. Its pretty clean without it.

20130821_192540_168_1_zps44ec7838.jpg

Here is the removed shield. It has four bolts, very easy to remove. Don't have to damage anything to get that off.

20130821_192555_960_1_zpsa25374fa.jpg

mbw

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I was able to winch the new wheels/tires up fully inflated. It is very tight. The forward part touches on the frame and you rub against the tow hook mount. I can see how deflating would make it a bit easier.

Still plenty of exhaust clearance. I wonder if its risky to not have that heat shield in place?

20130821_193900_579_1_zpsed3d2a99.jpg

Its very tight in the back too, but I did test the tow hook reciever, it clicks in place and is not touched by the tire.

20130821_194007_484_1_zps38958b75.jpg

Here it is installed.

20130821_193848_079_1_zps67a539b6.jpg

mbw

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So final thoughts... if you let the winch out, the wheel is 'stuck' up in there. To get it out you rock it side to side and it just wiggles out. Not too hard to get, but its not going to fall out if its inflated.

I can't really deflate it in this state though...I couldn't steal the wheel either. Can't cut the cable because of my RLD spare wheel protector plate. Nice chunk of steel.

IMG_20130424_143318_zps9f56bb9a.jpg

Also for someone crazier than me... if you go bigger and still want to fit.. fyi, my setup only has about a fingers width on the left and right side between the tire and the frame rails. if you deflate to fit front to back, you are almost out of room side to side also.

Last edited:

umbertob

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So final thoughts... if you let the winch out, the wheel is 'stuck' up in there. To get it out you rock it side to side and it just wiggles out. Not too hard to get, but its not going to fall out if its inflated.

Try wiggling it out again after a few hours of heat from the nearby exhaust has caused the air pressure in the tire to increase. You may find it's much harder to get the sucker to drop. That's the condition you will most likely need to work with should you ever need to replace a flat while on the road or on a trail, so definitely give it a good go in a "controlled environment". I couldn't get my 285/60/18 to release in my old Sport no matter what, unless I deflated it big time down to about 15-20 psi. Perhaps the well of the LR4 gives you a bit of extra wiggle room, though.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
gvillalongo