18’ wheel suggestions for my black 2010 LR4

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Bryan Jones

The guy with the 35's
Reaction score
Who has the better steel wheels Tuff Ant or Lucky 8? What I think I like about TuffAnt is that no spacers are required where as Lucky 8 has the spacers. Any feedback would be greatly appreciated.
I have no experience with Lucky 8 wheels, but haven't heard of anyone having problems with them. TuffAnt might have a higher load rating.... Don't quote me on that

bromhead

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have never encountered tuff ant before. can someone explain the +/- vs getting the compomotives....other than the drastic price difference.

Bryan Jones

The guy with the 35's
Reaction score
Compos, I believe, are aluminum and have a lower weight rating

bromhead

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks, yeah I get that. I think the comps weigh 29 vs 39 lbs for the tuff ants. Any downsize to having ten extra lbs on each wheel and on the 5th wheel carrier under the vehicle. Being steel I assume means they are more durable and easier to fix, was curious to an any specific negatives

ryanjl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks, yeah I get that. I think the comps weigh 29 vs 39 lbs for the tuff ants. Any downsize to having ten extra lbs on each wheel and on the 5th wheel carrier under the vehicle. Being steel I assume means they are more durable and easier to fix, was curious to an any specific negatives

An extra 10 pounds of rotational mass at each wheel would hinder performance, fuel economy, etc.

Modern, high performance aluminum wheels are also stronger than steel wheels.

Steel can, in theory, be bent back into shape if, for example, you damage the end of the rim and can't hold a bead. Again, in theory, that same blow may have permanently damaged an aluminum wheel. The steel wheels are also cheaper.

iSurfvilano

Full Access Member
Reaction score

I think you have to factor in more than just the rim weight. You may be adding 10 lbs per wheel for the rim....but to go from a 255/55/19 to just about any size larger of a tire you can go ahead and tack on another 10lbs-20lbs in addition to the weight of the rim. So essentially you will be running 20lbs-30+lbs per wheel. Which could lead to wear on the wheel bearing/hub assembly. It's a big "if" though as some guys here have traveled 40k+ miles on large wheels with no issue. So who knows.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
OnoA