18”New Defender steelies on LR4

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

k-lr4

Reaction score
I Ran 265/65r18 (32") for years and no gearing problems.
255/70r18 is only a 10" wide tire.
Thats almost an inch (8%) narrower and will help prevent a lot of rubbing.

good to know. However, isn't the 265/65/18 a 31.5" tire? whereas the 255/70/18 is a true 32" tire? apparently, from what I have searched the final 0.5" is what causes issues and the 255/70/18 apparently will not fit in the spare wheel well out at the back.

did you run your 32" without any lift? as in bone stock suspension ?

ryanjl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You will need to deflate the 265/65/18 tire to get it to fit in the spare location.

The few 265/65/18 tires of suitable load-carrying capability and sidewall strength will be heavier than the OE 265/70 Michelins, so get used to the weight.

Suspension height is not really ever the limiting factor in tires around this size. The limiting factor is rubbing framehorns on a turn, and driveability should the suspension have a major fault and drop to the bumpstops. 265/65/18 is seen as the largest you can go and still drive on the bumpstops unless you install the SYA kit or run Arnott air struts (which I have read have valving that won't let all the air out).

greiswig

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Discount Tire's did not work for me a few years ago when I bought a new wheel for a full size spare. I think they wound up having to use the Land Rover sensor after trying a few of theirs.
Discount installed my Coopers on the Compomotive wheels, and AFAIK they used their own TPMS sensors. They seem to work.

If they'd have had to buy them from JLR, I'm pretty sure I would have heard all about that.

k-lr4

Reaction score
Discount installed my Coopers on the Compomotive wheels, and AFAIK they used their own TPMS sensors. They seem to work.

If they'd have had to buy them from JLR, I'm pretty sure I would have heard all about that.
good to know. I may just have them use theirs and see how it goes. If not, I'll have them switch out theirs for the OEMs from my original set of 19s.

Btw ... I am going to go ahead and give the OEM (from the new defender) goodyear all terrain adventure 255/70/18 (32") tires a try on the OEM defender 18" steelies. I'll see how it goes. I'm pretty positive I may not like the ride because when I move that combo around, it feels significantly heavier than the 255/55/19 stock combo. But considering that I'm essentially getting the tires for free with the wheels, I may just use them up if its not too terrible.

Anyone - If I am being plain stupid, let me know. I am open to being flamed.

ryanjl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So I went with the steelies and 265/65/18 BFG All Terrains. They were put on about 5 weeks ago. I came from a set of clapped out Cooper Zeon LTZ tires in 255/55/19 on the stock wheels. I was worried the new wheels and tires would feel heavy, but they only do so marginally. The ride is tremendously better. Braking is a little worse, but not much.

Two days after putting them on, I went on around a 1500 mile trip to Colorado and back. Didn't miss the stock size wheels and tires one bit.

If you look for 265/65/18 tires, you'll find that the BFGs and some Nittos are about the only tires in that size that are E-rated tires and/or have a decently rated sidewall. The Toyo and Falken All Terrains in that size have a low ply sidewall, even by their own standards. The Cooper AT3s are E-rated, but I read some online that indicated they had weak sidewalls. So I went with a known quantity in the BFGs.

mm3846

Full Access Member
Reaction score
good to know. I may just have them use theirs and see how it goes. If not, I'll have them switch out theirs for the OEMs from my original set of 19s.

Btw ... I am going to go ahead and give the OEM (from the new defender) goodyear all terrain adventure 255/70/18 (32") tires a try on the OEM defender 18" steelies. I'll see how it goes. I'm pretty positive I may not like the ride because when I move that combo around, it feels significantly heavier than the 255/55/19 stock combo. But considering that I'm essentially getting the tires for free with the wheels, I may just use them up if its not too terrible.

Anyone - If I am being plain stupid, let me know. I am open to being flamed.

Thats the size I want to go to next if I want to upgrade from the 255/60-19 Toyos. Personally I think those tires are hot garbage though, and you're right about the weight. I don't want 18s unless they're alloys.

greiswig

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I went with Cooper Evolution M/T's in 275/70R18 size. Definitely required trimming the frame horns, and some plastic up front, too. But they are great offroad, and pretty quiet onroad as well. As has been said elsewhere, I don't think you're going to notice the difference in weight unless you're handling them a lot.

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
OnoA