2006 LR3 aftermarket radio

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

morrisdl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Pulling out the oem radio may break your oem Bluetooth phone capabilites if that is a concern.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

7thstorm

Reaction score
agree to above. but is there any after market head unit will be able to work with the oem steering wheel controls as well as the answer and hangup function?

anyone know any brand and model?

morrisdl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
agree to above. but is there any after market head unit will be able to work with the oem steering wheel controls as well as the answer and hangup function?

anyone know any brand and model?

PAC SWI-JACK will do the radio controls. Not sure there is any option for the phone controls.

bonz

Reaction score
Not trying to thread jack, but is there any way to play music from a phone via Bluetooth? I've got a 2008, and this is the one thing I miss most. Will any after market systems do that? I guess I don't really understand how Bluetooth works.

gabrielef

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Not trying to thread jack, but is there any way to play music from a phone via Bluetooth? I've got a 2008, and this is the one thing I miss most. Will any after market systems do that? I guess I don't really understand how Bluetooth works.

No integrated solutions exist. You can get Bluetooth FM transmitters, but that's about it. Honestly, I game up on the BT FM xmitr I have and now just use the AUX port. The sound is 100x better.

Back to OP, I'd be happy to see the end result with an aftermarket HU.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

7thstorm

Reaction score
i have a 05 lr3 and the BT only works for phone, but im using another BT-AUX adapter to play music. its a little one plug in to 12V power next to the AUX port on our LR3 then use a very short AUX cable to connect them together every time the car is on you will find the device called i-trip on your phone via BT then pair them then push AUX on the radio you should good to go

Amazon.com: iTrip Bluetooth Aux -Bluetooth Hands-Free Car Kit for Cars with 3.5 mm Aux Input: Electronics@@AMEPARAM@@http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/41BsfZZZd5L.@@AMEPARAM@@41BsfZZZd5L

above is the link from amazon.com

there are so many same function device as this, but its the only one ive tried,so far so good. but how ever it the device will not turn on when u star the car but i just re-plug it, and its not automatically pair every time but i just re-connect it that's it. not too bad.

i found only this one is the smallest one and dose not have mic and control on it cuz we had our phone calling thou the BT on the car already and the phone can be connect both at same time and working perfect, if there is a incoming phone call it will automatically stop the music then going back when you hangup

if anyone know any better device pls share

morrisdl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Agreed the AUX jack the is best route (better than FM). You will run into an age old problem of the aux volume level being lower than other sources. google for alternative solutions to increase volume.

remember5

Full Access Member
Reaction score
View attachment 6772
IMG_20160928_185713361.jpg
I'm about 2 months into my installation and couldn't be happier. Actually if I had a bigger display I would be happier... I used Pioneer AVIC 5000NEX but any receiver will work. There's a link above in this thread for the face plate, I had found one for a Freelander that worked fine, the color is a bit off but whatever. I made fiber optic bypass tubes by taking a bic pen and cutting about 2" pieces and sticking the fiber optic cables (orange) in each end and taping them. I actually removed the factory head unit and the Harmon Kardon amp and of course those were the two units I looped the fiber optical cable for. I mounted a piece of plywood in the place of the amp and mounted a Pioneer GM-D8604 amp to it using the factory amp power source. I used an AXXESS ASWC-1 to keep the steering wheel controls. Bluetooth or the factory phone were not working when I bought my truck so no loss there.
I also added the Sirius module which connects to the Pioneer, routed the antenna to the back through the headliner and out the back to the middle of the roof. The antenna for the navigation I routed around the molding at the top of the passengers door and through the channel above the windshield to the center of the front of the roof.

All wiring for the system was done according to the Pioneer manual from the head to the amp and included the Axxess for the steering wheel controls. The speakers... I used the factor wiring diagram and drew out the 8 speaker connections in the Pioneer amp and matched each factory wire with the Pioneer so I had two banks of 4, front and rear.

Pin 1 LH Rear Door - went to the rear bank left negative
Pin 2 RH Rear Door - went to the rear bank right negative
Pin 5 LR Front Door - went to the front bank left negative
Pin 6 RH Front Door - went to the front bank right negative

This continued for all the wires, I put the sub wires in the rear bank. I think that covers the wiring, basically removing the head unit and amp had no effect on any systems that I can tell, all my terrain response systems, air system, mpg, trip, range, etc. all work fine. My navigation works great, the sirius works great, I added a Landrover logo splash screen so when it starts the green oval shows up like it's a factory system. My installation of the face plate sucks but i have satellite and navigation and the truck has 206k miles on it so it's not a cherry by any means. All in all it took about a week to do working a couple of hours each night.

Ok, the bad: The front door and front center speakers work great, the rear speakers are really faint. I read a post on the Touareg forum that the impedance is wrong for the rear speakers and you have to put some kind of adapter between the amp and rear speakers. I'm trying to figure that out and would appreciate any ideas. Also the steering wheel controls volume works 99.5% of the time but I also have issues with cruise control so I'm thinking I need to replace the clock spring. Otherwise as I said, it's an awesome setup.

IMG_20160928_185731917.jpg

IMG_20160925_172058182.jpg

IMG_20161220_104816212.jpg

IMG_20161220_104835534.jpg

Last edited:

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
OnoA