2007 LR3 control arms replacement vs bushing replacement

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Nick53

Reaction score
2007 LR3 front control arms replacement vs bushing replacement.Any recommendations? OEM or BA?

Last edited:

John Robison

Reaction score
It is much easier to replace the whole control arm. I know this seems more costly that doing bushings but in New England it can be extremely difficult to get the bushings out and if you do go the bushing route you will need both the LR special tools and a heavy press. Also be prepared to replace the control arm bolts as they often rust in place and have to be cut out. We assume cutting them out here in Western MA. People in the American Southwest, though, can surely just do bushings and nothing will be broken, though you still face the easy job - more costly parts tradeoff and the special tools issue

BigZ

Reaction score
There is no way to replace the bushing only due to the process of getting the control arm off. Plan on replacing the control arm with bushings. Just did mine and there is simply no way to use the old arms.

mflecklr3

Reaction score
Here's another vote for doing the entire control arm. OEM vs. BA - I assume you're asking about the poly bushings. I'd pay the extra money for the poly bushings if you're going to keep the vehicle for awhile and you go offroad. The extra durability will pay for itself.

Ruper

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Couple things to think about on this. My vote would be whole arms. Poly or OEM? up to you as mentioned earlier for that decision. Do you have a press? If not Poly is the way to go if you go the bush only route. IF you have a legit press then either will be able to be done. If you have a lot of rust on the lower cam/hinge bolt, then whole arms for sure. Be ready with reciprocating saw you may need to cut the arms. Look on Utube or on Disco3uk.com for a step by step process.
I didn't have time to do either unfortunately when I did my ball joints Upper and Lower front only. and I had to replace the BJ's for annual inspection, so chose the long road home. Fortunately my Vehicle is from Florida, not much road salts down there.
I expect that when the BJ's wear out, I will replace the whole control arm and go ahead and do the back as well. Got a guy who will do it as a side project, and has given me a great price for labor, if I buy the parts and help out.
Looking at probably doing them sometime in March of 2021, unless wear progresses faster than expected.

Where are you at in NC, if you are near Carolina Beach/Wilmington I can hook you up with this guy I know.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
petrhick