2010-2012 vs. 2013+ LR4 changes?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

TutTheRook

Reaction score
Hi Guys,

Another Rookie question for you all as I search for my first LR. There seems to be a big jump in price from 2012 and older to 2013 and newer LR4s. Was there a major change made to the vehicle in 2013 or something?

ryanjl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
2013 and older have the V8 engine and pre-facelift front end. The only real difference for 2013 is they started using the updated timing chain tensioners in late, late 2012, making the 2013 models more reliable, on paper. A 2 speed transfer case was standard, and the HD model got you a rear locker.

Starting in 2014, the engines switched to a supercharged V6. Front end was updated. The interior was redesigned. And a 2-speed transfer case became an option, only included in the HD package.

General consensus is the 2013 (or a 2012 or older with the timing chain guides updated) is the sweet spot. Most prefer the V8 over the V6.

ktm525

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Earlier V8s are ok if the pricing differential supports it. Go into it knowing that the tensioners may eventually have to be done. On those age of rigs you will probably need to replace the water pump, crossovers, accessory belts etc anyhow so the tensioners should not be a deal killer. Just make sure you save money n the purchase price that can be put towards a tensioner/chain job. Earlier models are not all ticking time bombs either. My 2010 (well maintained) has 110k miles and the chains are tight and quiet. Knock on wood.

The newer ones look more modern but most lack the real tidbits that make the LR4 special. On looks alone I prefer LR3s so what do I know.

R Hermann

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Assuming worst/best case scenario, an '11 or '12 with ~100,000 miles and none of the big work mentioned above done, how much would you budget for future repairs and proactive/preventative maintenance with fairly typical worst case conditions? I am fairly DIY and the truck would be a third vehicle so down time is not an issue but I don't want to do anything frustrating and/or requiring contortionist cussing anymore....

gsxr

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I think typical prices at shops/dealers, parts+labor, ends up in the $3k-$5k range for the full timing chain Monty.

There's a few threads about DIY'ing the job, from what I can recall it's lots of labor, a few special tools, and not much $$ in parts. If you are an advanced DIY'er and don't mind spending a month of partial weekends it's probably doable. I'm at 121kmi on my 2010 and so far, no bad noises.

:ahhhhh:

Staff online

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TeriM