2010 LR4 Glove Box Area Plastic Creaking or Clicking

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Count Laszlo

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hello Everyone,

First I'd like to say my L4 is great, solid and built like a tank. This is my only very minor issue. And wondering if other LR4 owners have the same issue.

I have a new 2010 LR4, has about 800 miles on it. Near the glove box area, there's a clicking/creaking (like plastic on plastic), that makes a noise only when hitting bumps. As I hit the bump I hear a ONE "click", that plastic on plastic flex sound. It's not terribly annoying, but it is there and what's driving me crazy, is I can't find it. Especially since the cabin is so solid and a silly thing like a glove box could cause this. The rest of the car is superb. I tried WD40 on the glove box hinges and that didn't help at all.

Do any of you LR4 owners having a simular noise - or are you interiors absolutely 100% quiet? If this is a common issue with ALL LR4s I'm okay with it. But if it's just mine, I'd love to figure out how to resolve it.

I was thinking of taking it to the dealer, but honestly, if I can't track it down, I'm not sure if they can... and I've spent a lot of hours trying to figure it out. I doubt a tech would spend more than 15 minutes tracking it - unless it's a documented issue with a service bulletin.

Thanks,
Stephen

slammer

Reaction score
Yep, the upper glove box metal latch on the top of it rattles with bumps. Haven't looked into it yet. Putting pressure on the upper glovebox door stops it.
Also, the dome light behind my head has a rattle in it, which drives me nuts. Have foam, silicone grease, gasket material, you name it shoved in the headliner around and behind the light/switch assembly to no avail. Any clue to this would be appreciated too.

Count Laszlo

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yep, the upper glove box metal latch on the top of it rattles with bumps. Haven't looked into it yet. Putting pressure on the upper glovebox door stops it.
Also, the dome light behind my head has a rattle in it, which drives me nuts. Have foam, silicone grease, gasket material, you name it shoved in the headliner around and behind the light/switch assembly to no avail. Any clue to this would be appreciated too.

Too funny!!! = Have foam, silicone grease, gasket material, you name it shoved in the headliner around and behind the light/switch assembly to no avail. :biggrin:

I'm so glad it's not just my LR4... I was worried I got one that had a glove box installed by a sleepy installer...

Okay, I'll try putting some tape on the latch and drive around for results. I think you're right, if I touch that part, it clicks.

Funny how LR put so much effort into a beautiful cabin, that's very tight, at luxury standards, but would put such a cheapie plasticl latch for the glove box. It bugs me a glove box can be so annoying.

My wife thinks I'm nuts... and I can live with some noises, but clicking drives me nuts. Thanks goodness I don't have a rattle next... that would drive me nuttier.

Okay, will report back on findings. Thanks so much for responding. I was getting worried because a bunch of people looked at the thread, but no one responded... so I was thinking that everyone's LR4 is perfect inside.

crewcabrob

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Now that it has gotten cold out, I hear a few rattles here and there. I have not really given much effort to tracking down the noise. I may start with the glove box as it seems both of you have done some leg work for me.
My brother in law works for a dealership in Arizona and he has to track down noises for customers all the time. I think he works on Cadillacs interiors and HVAC units. Believe me, if you find a good person in the shop they will track down the noises and stop them. He heard noises I had never even caught.
Good luck with the sound deadening!

Rob

Count Laszlo

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Now that it has gotten cold out, I hear a few rattles here and there. I have not really given much effort to tracking down the noise. I may start with the glove box as it seems both of you have done some leg work for me.
My brother in law works for a dealership in Arizona and he has to track down noises for customers all the time. I think he works on Cadillacs interiors and HVAC units. Believe me, if you find a good person in the shop they will track down the noises and stop them. He heard noises I had never even caught.
Good luck with the sound deadening!

Rob

If I can't track it down then I'll take it into the dealership and give them a shot. These guys probably hear them all, just like you’ve noted, and might know exactly what's causing it. It's not a rattle or a bad creaking, just a clicking (plastic flex) sound... and although I don't expect the cabin to be completely quiet, it's a large vehicle, almost impossible from an engineering perspective to make it complete solid.

But there are two noises that drive me crazy... speaker rattles (which this car doesn't have at all) and any types of noises from the glove box. I can handle anything else... but the glove box thing drives me nut. Anyway, I've tried felt, tape, WD, the works and still can't stop it. Maybe it is just the plastic latch at the top, it does make that clicking noise if you tough it, but not sure if a bump would produce the same thing. I'm going to tape that latch down and drive around for a test... see what happens.

I did notice one other thing, the center speaker at the fore of the dash, is a very cheap piece of plastic that if you touch it, it cracks and clicks. It could be that after all and the noise is bouncing off the right side window making it sound like it's coming from the glove box. Aiya!

Last edited:

cypress822

Full Access Member
Reaction score
When accelerating, my front center speaker on the front dash vibrates; it dissapears for a second or two when the car up shifts, then starts again while accelerating into the next gear. Just started when it got cold outdoors. Anyone else with same????

Count Laszlo

Full Access Member
Reaction score
When accelerating, my front center speaker on the front dash vibrates; it dissapears for a second or two when the car up shifts, then starts again while accelerating into the next gear. Just started when it got cold outdoors. Anyone else with same????

Although I'm tracking down a glove box creak I think the center piece might be contributing. I did drive around with a soft small pillow wedge between the windscreen and center speaker and still heard the creak/plastic crack sound - so I ruled this out. But, if you just touch this piece slightly, it does makes a ton of noise. I'll have to experiment some more.

I'd love to know how to take this piece off anyway and put some soft felt and/or the soft part of Velcro in the areas that seem to be touching other plastic parts causing the noise. I'm worried if I don't get a clear picture on how to remove it, it'll break.

Sometimes you can check OEM part centers online and get detailed diagrams of each part that assist, but the real oem site for Land Rovers, have very vague diagrams. That part cost like $12 bucks... Almost attempted to order it and when it arrives examine it enough to take the original one off, repair, then return the new part for a refund.

Count Laszlo

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Reporting back... I am working from home today and had to run to the doctor's office for an annual check-up. Nonetheless, I used velcro, both sides, two strips about an inch and a half each to the bottom of the glove box (near the hinges) and the sound is completely gone. I am happy the sound is gone, but not too happy about the velcro... it's not ugly and you can hardly notice it, but of course if you open the glove box you get that nice ripping velcro sound that sounds so high-class. LOL... anyway, at least I know it's the glove box and this solution will work in the meantime. Will bring it to the dealer eventually, when Harriet needs a check up, and let them try it with velcro on and velcro off and hopefully find a more streamlined solution other than ripping velcro.

psc

Reaction score

Yep I have this buzzing and the centre interior lamp assembly which rattles (plus one speaker) annoying at best !

slammer

Reaction score
I have a folded up dollar bill and next a cutoff matchbook is going in the gap between the clear lens and the tan light assembly of the dome light. It also might have something to do with the roll shade for the front sun roof.
I know, 3 cans of expanding foam spray like great stuff. Na, I better not.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TeriM