2010 LR4 Multimedia interface update/upgrade?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

pchak

Reaction score
I agree with a number of people that I wouldn't trade my LR for any other vehicle. However, I drove my wife's Pacifica to my kid's out of state skate meet, and having Android sync my phone, so I could have Waze on the dash screen was outstanding, and listening to Spotify (I had forgot to renew my wife's SiriusXM before the trip), plus other apps.
Our trip this weekend in the LR led me to look up alternatives here, and I figured that there would be limited options. I'm bummed that I chose my 2011 over a 2012, since I didn't know that there was a stereo difference.
I still may get the Bovee, as I don't need that much of my own music, as I mainly preview a lot of my dj stuff.

Last edited:

defender_verde

Reaction score
I agree with a number of people that I wouldn't trade my LR for any other vehicle. However, I drove my wife's Pacifica to my kid's out of state skate meet, and having Android sync my phone, so I could have Waze on the dash screen was outstanding, and listening to Spotify (I had forgot to renew my wife's SiriusXM before the trip), plus other apps.
Our trip this weekend in the LR led me to look up alternatives here, and I figured that there would be limited options. I'm bummed that I chose my 2011 over a 2012, since I didn't know that there was a stereo difference.
I still may get the Bovee, as I don't need that much of my own music, as I mainly preview a lot of my dj stuff.

I used the Naviplus kit that allows one to use Apple CarPlay or Android on their factory screen. Works pretty damn well considering it's a third party solution. It connects wirelessly and takes over the AUX input, so it will give you bluetooth streaming functionality if you don't already have.

Tapps33

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I like to look of this system, and honestly, while I like the expanded screen of some of the other systems, I worry about the longevity of them, as well as their ability to work....all the time....without crashing!

That said, it looks like this may only work with the 2012 and newer systems. I'm reaching out to the company to see what they have to say. (I'll let everyone know what they say about it). It may be I have to swap to the 2012 components to get what I want.....just not sure if the plug connectors are the same....they're different for the amp, they may also be different for the display and IAU.

Tapps33

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well, the company said they don’t support 2010-2011 models. Unfortunately, they didn’t provide any feedback as to why....wrong connectors, software issues etc...

I’m going to reach back out and see if I can get them to clear it up for me a little. If it’s as simple as swapping the display and IAU....I was thinking of doing that anyway!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

DaytonaRS7

Full Access Member
Reaction score
while nowhere as sophisitcated as Android auto or Carplay, i use the Bovee 1000 w/ ipod integration cable and proclip mount.
https://www.amazon.com/Bovee-Integr...ocphy=9004503&hvtargid=pla-297906785747&psc=1

https://www.proclipusa.com/product/854412-proclip-center-mount

the Bovee is always plugged into the ipod port in the console. I have the Bovee velcro'ed to the console lid so its never flopping around when the console is opened.
Both the car bluetooth and Bovee bluetooth are set to auto connect on my phone.
My phone auto connects to the Bovee when the car "wakes up", as soon as the door is opened.
I have an app on my phone that auto starts a Spotify when the Bovee bluetooth is connected.

Spotify starts, stops/pauses whenever Bovee bluetooth is connected or disconnected.

BeIf i get an incoming call, the car phone Bluetooth interrupts (pauses) spotify, and it is handled with the cars built in interface. as soon as the call is ended, Bovee/spotify starts right up again.

Waze or google maps is displayed on the phone but directions are played through the car speakers.

Volume and track skipping are controlled through the dash or steering wheel controls.
Selecting a new playlist, browsing through songs in a playlist, or selecting a song out of order in the playlist must be done from the phone.
entering destinations in waze must also be done on the phone.

Besides the lack of availability for an actual Android auto or Carplay integration, the cost for this cant really be beat.

ufcfc

Reaction score
Every now and then I find myself casually looking to see if there are any infotainment options available to upgrade the LR4's pitiful head unit UX (how I stumbled upon this thread tonight).

For me, maintaining factory backup camera, front/rear parking sensors, and SW/dash controls would be absolute requirements. I'd be willing (and likely have) to concede the use of my surround cameras (let's be honest they're $#*^ anyway), 4x4i (no low range on my '14 anyway :bawling:), and factory BT (but BT mic and sound quality of replacement unit would be critical since the factory system is quite good - and it's a feature that's important to me).

Also of concern to me is the ability of an aftermarket head unit to drive my LR4's upgraded Meridian sound system. Still not sure any can do that properly.

I did run across this recently though: https://www.drivensoundvision.com.au/landrover-discovery-carplay-retrofit/

That may be of interest to some of you. I'm still trying to sort out if it would work for me (when paired w/ associated adapters they link to). If I discover it will, then I'd probably be taking the plunge and would report back in due course.

dlonesty

Reaction score
2011 LR4 HSE Lux
450w HK 13 speakers
use the BOVEE 1000 no problem
Have listened to the Meridian upgraded system and prefer HK much much more

DonC

Full Access Member
Reaction score
2011 with a Bovee, Pro Clip mount and Alexa Auto. All work together just as they should and it is truly hands free. One thing though. My Alexa is NOT mounted on the dash. I signed up early for the Alexa when they were including a flat magnetic mount with a stick on back and not the vent mount. I mounted this in front of my sun roof switch where it is closer to the driver. No issues with voice commands in this position.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
petrhick