2010 LR4 - Rhythmic Ticking Noise from Front of Engine

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Ian K

Reaction score
First off, I'm sorry for yet another "what is this noise?" post! I've searched high and low around the interwebs and have not found anything that quite compares to what I'm hearing. Thus far, this hasn't correlated to any problems, but I'm going to be tearing into things to identify [yet another] charging issue later today so thought it'd be a good time to try getting to the bottom of this as well.

Rather than waste too much time with a description here, I've uploaded a recording to YouTube. Any ideas as to what this is will be greatly appreciated. In this video, you'll hear the noise at 2 seconds, 10 seconds and again at about the 30 second mark.

A few quick thoughts: It sounds like it's coming from external to the engine, but could also perhaps be something from the timing chains? It's rhythmic when it occurs, and typically lasts less than 10 "clicks". Alternator, water pump, idler and tensioner pulleys are all new in last 6 months.

ryanjl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Get the Mahle Behr part from Autohausaz.com. It's the same as OEM and a lot cheaper at around $300.

Check the PCV valves for oil leaks. Those can drip down onto the alternator.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TeriM