2010 LR4 Transmission Failure - 52,000 miles

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

tucekc5

Reaction score
Hello All,

Looking for any suggestions to lower the repair cost for a transmission replacement for a 2010 LR4. Dealer cost is $13,000.

Thank you!

Here is the Background

About 6 months ago, my wife was driving our 2010 LR4 and a transmission fault light first appeared. She phoned the dealer and asked whether she should bring the car in for service and was told that as long as the light disappeared after the car was turned off and restarted the vehicle was safe to drive. She was told that it was just a quirk of the LR4. After the initial episode, the transmission fault light appeared a few more times, but after turning the vehicle off and restarting the engine the light disappeared, so (as instructed) she did not bring the car in for service.

On July 31, while drive on the expressway (I-94 in Illinois) at full speed the car quickly lunged forward and the transmission fault light appeared. The car immediately began to decelerate so she put the hazards on and shifted the car into neutral and pulled over to the shoulder of the road. She turned the car off and let it cool down for a couple of minutes, then restarted the car with no luck as the transmission fault light appeared again and she was unable to accelerate the car. She turned the car off a second time and waited another minute or so before restarting again this time with luck. She drove the car slowly to the Land Rover dealership just a couple exits further south on the expressway.

The dealership's initial transmission fault light diagnosis was that the light likely came on due to a loose wire connection or possible battery failure, however, after waiting at the dealership for over 3 hours she was told they needed to investigate the error codes further so left the dealership with a loaner vehicle.

On August 3, service called stating the error codes were indicative of a complete transmission failure and that the transmission replacement cost would be $10,800 plus another $1,800 or so for labor. The vehicle is 5 years old vehicle with only 52,000 miles. The car is no longer under warranty.
We’ve been in touch with the dealer and LR USA because we were given very bad advice to not bring in the car when the initial transmission fault light appeared. I’m not sure of the exact timing, but pretty sure it was still under warranty at the time. Unfortunately it’s turned into a he said, she said situation with the dealer and they are not going to cover this under warranty. They and LR USA are willing to knock a few $ off the repairs.

Any suggestions for a way to confirm the diagnosis and lower the repair costs (used transmission, independent mechanic) would be appreciated.

Quijote

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ugh. Sorry to hear. No real advice here, unfortunately. If you exhaust all avenues with LRNA and dealer, ask for a detailed description of the failure. I don't know if it is possible, but perhaps it can be repaired instead of a full new transmission.

I think it is BS that they told you to ignore it.

goblue95

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Good luck. My 2011 has about 57k and has been off the factory warranty for several months now. I am keeping my fingers crossed that the mechanical breakdown insurance I have through Geico will help me avoid the situation you're facing.

While you may be sour to the idea of Land Rover right now, I wonder what they could work out for you on trading in your broken LR4 for something new (or even pre-owned) on their lot. Maybe it's worth it to them to do the repairs and re-sell the vehicle with a new or rebuilt transmission? And while it might take thousands off the trade-in value, it might be a lot less than $10k+ out of pocket just to get the 5 year old LR4 back in service.

Quijote

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I don't recall reading about issues with this transmission in the past 3 years that I've followed LR4's. Seems like bad luck. It would be pretty awful for LRNA not to stand behind that transmission. It's an auto, so no money shift or other abuse is possible besides towing neglect. Also, lots of brands offer powertrain warranties far exceeding 50k miles.

Hard to imagine LRNA not pitching in for at least half the cost.

churious

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Find a very qualified and reliable independent transmission shop! Someone with knowledge of ZF transmissions and European vehicles. In my expierence 99% of these Euro dealers (BMW, MERC, LR) will tell you that the transmissions are sealed and can not be rebuilt! This is total BS. There are parts available although not in their system nor to their knowledge.

I had a manual getdrag transmission fail in a newer BMW M3 and BMW NA wanted to charge me to the tune of $7000 for a new sealed replacement. For lack of time I bought one for $2500 with 20k miles on it out of a wrecked car... but here is the kicker. I sold the broken transmission to a friend for $500 and he fixed it for $50 worth of parts.

Now... I'm not saying this exact scenario can be the case with the LR4 but... its probably very similar. I would first figure out the exact model of the ZF six-speed automatic/sequential gearbox and go from there.

churious

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I just did a quick google search and it looks as if you can pick up rebuilt LR3 transmissions for around 4k. Id bet there is someone out there selling the correct LR4 one as well.

Ive sent these guys a message to see if they have a kit and to figure out the correct PN for the LR4 ZF. I am under the impression the transfer case (Model LR023011 , LR008206) are the same on the LR3 and LR4.

UPDATE:They also confirmed that the LR4 ZF6HP26 is the same so this kit would work.

Now... I have no idea what is actually wrong with your transmission without tearing it apart but... neither does the dealer. They pulled a code consulted their dealer "manuals" or service hotline and gave you a $13,000 estimate. Thats how it works now days.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/180585589946?item=180585589946&viewitem=&vxp=mtr

Hope all this helps. :hello:

Last edited:

tucekc5

Reaction score
Find a very qualified and reliable independent transmission shop! Someone with knowledge of ZF transmissions and European vehicles. In my expierence 99% of these Euro dealers (BMW, MERC, LR) will tell you that the transmissions are sealed and can not be rebuilt! This is total BS. There are parts available although not in their system nor to their knowledge.

I had a manual getdrag transmission fail in a newer BMW M3 and BMW NA wanted to charge me to the tune of $7000 for a new sealed replacement. For lack of time I bought one for $2500 with 20k miles on it out of a wrecked car... but here is the kicker. I sold the broken transmission to a friend for $500 and he fixed it for $50 worth of parts.

Now... I'm not saying this exact scenario can be the case with the LR4 but... its probably very similar. I would first figure out the exact model of the ZF six-speed automatic/sequential gearbox and go from there.
all, thanks for the quick and thoughtful responses. Working a number of different angles on this between conversations with dealer and LRNA regarding discounting the service and parts, potential trade in for another vehicle and diagnosis/repair at an independent mechanic.

churious, I appreciate you tracking down the rebuilt transmission and feel we have decent option available to us.

Will send an update as things progress, one way or the other.

churious

Full Access Member
Reaction score
all, thanks for the quick and thoughtful responses. Working a number of different angles on this between conversations with dealer and LRNA regarding discounting the service and parts, potential trade in for another vehicle and diagnosis/repair at an independent mechanic.

churious, I appreciate you tracking down the rebuilt transmission and feel we have decent option available to us.

Will send an update as things progress, one way or the other.

Good to hear. Don't forget a rebuild kit for $500ish plus maybe $1000 - $1500 in labor may get you back on the road as well. :bandit:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TeriM