2011 LR4 - Parking Brake Won't Engage

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Reaction score
Hi, out of the blue my parking brake won't engage. The only thing I had recently done to my vehicle was mounting of new tires. Any ideas where I should start? Go to a mechanic? I'll be grateful for your insights.

wthammett

Reaction score
Just a heads up, the parking brake cable is turned by a sort of gear - imagine a coil turning and that's how your parking brake cable tightens, engages if you will. This mechanism is around $2,000 parts and labor at an Indy shop to repair. You might have been lucky if as most of the time it fails in the engaged position. If that happens there is an emergency release cable underneath your cup holders - look it up on YouTube so you are not stuck with an engaged parking brake cable somewhere. Good luck

Reaction score
Just a heads up, the parking brake cable is turned by a sort of gear - imagine a coil turning and that's how your parking brake cable tightens, engages if you will. This mechanism is around $2,000 parts and labor at an Indy shop to repair. You might have been lucky if as most of the time it fails in the engaged position. If that happens there is an emergency release cable underneath your cup holders - look it up on YouTube so you are not stuck with an engaged parking brake cable somewhere. Good luck

This is great advice. I am going to start looking today. If I fail to figure this I have an appointment with a mechanic I trust on Wednesday. Thank you!

cperez

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Related to parking brake use:

I've actually had a trusted Land Rover mechanic/friend of mine tell me that I should not use the parking brake any more than absolutely necessary. He said that because of the design and the expense of fixing it, it's just not worth it.

I'm on my 3rd Rover product and have always routinely set the brake when I park, whether I'm on a grade or on perfectly flat ground. Is this what most of you do? I've never had a problem with a Land Rover EPB.

Quijote

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Related to parking brake use:

I've actually had a trusted Land Rover mechanic/friend of mine tell me that I should not use the parking brake any more than absolutely necessary. He said that because of the design and the expense of fixing it, it's just not worth it.

I'm on my 3rd Rover product and have always routinely set the brake when I park, whether I'm on a grade or on perfectly flat ground. Is this what most of you do? I've never had a problem with a Land Rover EPB.

I don't use it every time, but it is used frequently enough. Maybe once a week given that we don't drive the car every day.

ryanjl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I've had my LR4 for 3.5 years, and the only time I've ever used my parking brake was when I bedded the parking brake pads into my new rear rotors.

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sawcut