2011 LR4 Voice Controls

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

minazaki

Reaction score
I picked up my 2011 LR4 in December. No voice recognition feature. I inquired at dealer, whio told me that it was discontinued because of problems they were having. I then read waltzonice's post, did a little more inquiring, and it looks like they will be installing/reactivating it. I'll post again when complete.

I am going to try to have my service department activate this on my truck. Is there anything they need to know about how to do this? I have this feeling that they're not going to be very knowledgeable/helpful on this, I want to know as much as I can about it going in.

Thanks.

waltzonice

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I am going to try to have my service department activate this on my truck. Is there anything they need to know about how to do this? I have this feeling that they're not going to be very knowledgeable/helpful on this, I want to know as much as I can about it going in.

Thanks.
This is all done in software, I believe. I don't think they had to change out any parts.

I want to point out that I had ordered my vehicle prior to them removing the Voice Recognition feature. My order sheet had a line item for this feature. Hence I had a really good case. They have since removed the feature completely, so they are probably not obligated to put it back in for any cars they sold without this feature. You can try and get them to put it back -- quite possible they would do it out of good will since it's just a software mod.

Last edited:

DonnieLR4

Reaction score

Thanks.

Apparently, no one in the service dept in my dealer was familiar with how to correct this. Landrover USA has been in contact with my dealer to provide guidance. I'm waiting for appointment now. I have to say, my dealer and Landrover USA has been attentive with this issue. I will post again when "upgrade" is complete.

DonnieLR4

Reaction score
This is all done in software, I believe. I don't think they had to change out any parts.

I want to point out that I had ordered my vehicle prior to them removing the Voice Recognition feature. My order sheet had a line item for this feature. Hence I had a really good case. They have since removed the feature completely, so they are probably not obligated to put it back in for any cars they sold without this feature. You can try and get them to put it back -- quite possible they would do it out of good will since it's just a software mod.

I believe you're correct in that hardware, wiring harnesses, etc. are already there. It is some sort of software install issue.

timtiedemann

Reaction score
I just got my 2011 last week and I was shocked that mine did NOT come with it either.

Franky

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I just picked up my 2011 Lux this past weekend. 12/10 man. date. I dont have the voice control button on mine. I dont have the vison assist pkg. either, does that mean that I dont have the high beam assist?

DonnieLR4

Reaction score
Voice Control Restored!

I went to my Land Rover dealer today, and sure enough, they were able to re-activate the voice control feature. Apparently all the hardware/provisions were still in the vehicle. They did some sort of software install. If you request to have this done at your local dealer, keep in mind, I had to involve the regional Land Rover office since my dealer was unfamiliar with how to do this.

AwlBidnz

Reaction score
I have been using my "Phone Dial Name" function on my 2011 RR & she seems to work fine, as long as you wait for the beep. The phone book downloaded from my iPhone is last name first, which makes it VERY time consuming to find a specific family member with the same last name ;0\ Would be nice if it was flexible BUT, then, it wouldn't be a Rover, now would it? If I don't have the name "voiced" it's easier to use my phone to initiate the call. Probably not the original idea of the interface.

umbertob

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I went to my Land Rover dealer today, and sure enough, they were able to re-activate the voice control feature. Apparently all the hardware/provisions were still in the vehicle. They did some sort of software install. If you request to have this done at your local dealer, keep in mind, I had to involve the regional Land Rover office since my dealer was unfamiliar with how to do this.

Did that deactivate the recently implemented navigation-in-motion feature of your satnav? A fellow owner (2011 RRS) was told by the dealer that enabling the voice control feature back into his car would require a software "rollback" of sorts, which would remove some of the newly introduced - and highly desirable - features on later build MY2011s, such as the ability to program the navigation system with the car in motion for example. Just trying to figure out if the dealer was "guessing" or knew what he was talking about. Thanks.

Viper17

Reaction score
I fully agree with the comment above "mostly good for a laugh with family in the car to try and get it to do something you actually want it to do". I had a 2006 LR3 with voice recognition. When I ordered my 2011 in December 2010 I was told they were taking it away due to too many complaints -- which I fully understood. And I wasn't disappointed one bit that they were removing the beast. It would take some huge improvements for it to be worth anything to me. Voice recognition, in general, has not made nearly as much improvement over the past decade as I would have predicted. Then add the car and wind noise to the equation and what you get is of little practical use.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Vintage99