2013 LR4 5.0L Cold start knocking noise

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

DaytonaRS7

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Not saying to get either of those specifically, but just those styles. I'm sure you can find a cheaper version. That was just the first I saw that were relevant.

I had the "good" set custom made, so I have no link for exactly what I used

DrTobiasFunke

Reaction score
For the record, finally got around to the repair and the knocking disappeared after replacing the fan clutch.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

DrTobiasFunke

Reaction score
For the record, finally got around to the repair and the knocking disappeared after replacing the fan clutch.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Kerrie

Reaction score
I'm having this exact same issue! Thanks for sharing your fix. Did you replace the water pump? I had mine replaced about a year and a half ago and would rather not go through that expense if I don't need to. How hard/easy was it to replace the fan clutch? I'm reasonably handy, but this vehicle intimidates me as far as working on it (I've always been a ford girl).

Red Top Engine

Reaction score
Replace fan clutch. 30min tops.
The coolant pipes that fail are beneath your air manifold box and not associated to the fan clutch.

DrTobiasFunke

Reaction score
Get the wrench, it’s a Ford product or rent one, the water pump also has a Ford stamp on it. The thread are reversed, so righty loosey, lefty tighty. The water pump should only need replacing every 70-80k miles or so. The funny thing about my cross over pipes is they were nearly perfect after 35k miles, no signs of fatigue. Maybe they revised the parts since original production run when these vehicles first came out. I didn’t replace my belt b/c it looked just fine, but it’s now slightly squeaking and I probably should have just done it when I was in there.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Last edited:

Kerrie

Reaction score
Ok, y'all. I'm going to try this at home. On Atlantic British, there are 2 brands for the fan clutch, OEM and Behr. The OEM is $600 and Behr is $450. Should I get the OEM? Also, the nice guys at JC's British and 4x4 mentioned I should also check the coolant outlet tube. I assume that is the crossover pipes?

Michael Gain

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ok, y'all. I'm going to try this at home. On Atlantic British, there are 2 brands for the fan clutch, OEM and Behr. The OEM is $600 and Behr is $450. Should I get the OEM? Also, the nice guys at JC's British and 4x4 mentioned I should also check the coolant outlet tube. I assume that is the crossover pipes?

Behr would work just fine and is $360 on fcpeuro. Lifetime warranty. You are correct. They are referring to the crossover pipe

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
A562NV