4x4

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

toecutter

Reaction score
i'm just gonna bother you guys one more time for now.when i put my 96 d1 into 4 low i get a loud warning tone ,which dosen't go away till i'm out of 4x4.is this normal i've never noticed it before.can i make it go away or is somthing wrong,all works 4 low dif lock,shifts easy,i just don't know.the light for 4 low lights up.nothing seems wrong.i have srs light on and check engine ,abs.the check engine is bad cat,the abs is because i took out the fuse under the hood,the srs came on after my batt went dead.everything else is a 1

joey

Custom Rover Accessories
Staff member
Reaction score
Lots of questions.... but hey I will try.

How are you putting it into 4 low? is the transmission in Neutral? Could just be a bad positions sensor for the shifter.

SRS is normally a dealer fix (sad I know)

Check engine light, if you know is a bad cat then change the cat or it will eventually cause other issues.

ABS light can either be a wheel sensor bad, or or just the normal LR ABS issues which could cost $$$$. If you off road only (I am not a lawyer and will not tell anyone to do this) remove the 30 amp ABS fuse and forget about it.

toecutter

Reaction score
the abe is because i did pull the fuse,i going to replace the cat when i get some money rolling in,out of work because of broken leg.i put it into 4x4 low in nutral but it does pop out sometimes,and i have to shove it back in,after that it wont come back out ,but it still beeps.as soon as i put it back in high range it stops.

joey

Custom Rover Accessories
Staff member
Reaction score
Sounds like it is not going in all the way.. may need lubed up. Mine doesn't beep, but it may be that someone somewhere removed the sensor.

toecutter

Reaction score
i found out what caused the beep.if you go into drive ,then nutral ,it will beep.if you just go straight to nutral it won't beep

wolf

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I had pretty much the same thing happen to my 97 Disco - it turned out I was not getting it comletely out of neutral (i.e., that hi/lo selector has to be used or it tends to seize up). One way or another neutral is always involved - either on your main tranny or in your transfer case g-box.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
helge