5.0 supercharged into an LR4?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Tapps33

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Update:

So after A LOT of emailing and web research, I found the good folks at Blackbox Solutions (BBS) who specialize in Land Rover electronics. Long story even longer, there are 5 ECU’s that are VIN coded from the factory. Not only are they VIN coded, but they also run a slightly different software version than their NA counterparts. Here’s the kicker though....they’re all the same part numbers...you just can’t plug and play then without the appropriate software “mating!”

The good news is, they can all be reprogrammed if you have the tools...which by the way costs about $8K as it’s the dealer level programming tool. BUT! After talking with the folks at BBS, they sell a couple different products that will allow us to transplant the engine...as long as we find a donor RRS SC for the critical modules.

The modules that need to be swapped, all from the same donor as they’re VIN coded are:

Engine Computer (ECM)
Instrument Cluster (IPAC)
ABS/Brake Module (ABS)
Body Control Module (BCM)
Keyless Vehicle Module (KVM)

When all these modules are installed on the LR4, in essence the computers think it’s a RRS SC, and in theory everything works right. Thankfully, the Nanocom Evolution from BBS allows a user to go into the CAN BUS system and edit the CCF file to adjust it for anything their respective LR4 does or doesn’t have, ensuring code free operation. FYI, BBS also sells some slightly more powerful tools, but as it was explained to me, those are geared more for shops that specialize in tuning ECM’s....plus they’re at least double the cost....soooo, I went with the Nanocom.

What’s all this cost? Well, I found a donor car from Quality OEM parts and purchased all the modules, and even a spare key already coded to the KVM for $380. The Nanocom cost about $650, but considering it’s basically an iLand or iiD tool on steroids, it’s worth it, even if I wasn’t making the swap.

I’m close to kicking this project off, but until the stupid travel restrictions let up, I can’t make the trip to pick up all my SC engine parts. That said, I’ve pretty much got everything on order, so it’s just a matter of time before I get started.

I know this update has been crazy, but I want to make sure I know exactly what I’m getting into before I tear everything apart and get stuck....which is probably gonna happen anyway, but at least I’ve thought through everything I can see coming as much as possible!

So, I guess all that’s left to say is:

YES, it finally looks like it’s possible to make this swap!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Jimmy Brooks

Full Access Member
Reaction score
nice work man I’m really excited to see how this will play out because I’ve wanted to do this project ever since September. Just a question did you ever decide if you were going to replace the engine all together or swap the parts from a rrs Sc to your engine. Don’t forget to film a couple of 0-60 vids!
Update:
So after A LOT of emailing and web research, I found the good folks at Blackbox Solutions (BBS) who specialize in Land Rover electronics. Long story even longer, there are 5 ECU’s that are VIN coded from the factory. Not only are they VIN coded, but they also run a slightly different software version than their NA counterparts. Here’s the kicker though....they’re all the same part numbers...you just can’t plug and play then without the appropriate software “mating!”

The good news is, they can all be reprogrammed if you have the tools...which by the way costs about $8K as it’s the dealer level programming tool. BUT! After talking with the folks at BBS, they sell a couple different products that will allow us to transplant the engine...as long as we find a donor RRS SC for the critical modules.

The modules that need to be swapped, all from the same donor as they’re VIN coded are:

Engine Computer (ECM)
ABS/Brake Module (ABS)

When all these modules are installed on the LR4, in essence the computers think it’s a RRS SC, and in theory everything works right. Thankfully, the Nanocom Evolution from BBS allows a user to go into the CAN BUS system and edit the CCF file to adjust it for anything their respective LR4 does or doesn’t have, ensuring code free operation. FYI, BBS also sells some slightly more powerful tools, but as it was explained to me, those are geared more for shops that specialize in tuning ECM’s....plus they’re at least double the cost....soooo, I went with the Nanocom.

What’s all this cost? Well, I found a donor car from Quality OEM parts and purchased all the modules, and even a spare key already coded to the KVM for $380. The Nanocom cost about $650, but considering it’s basically an iLand or iiD tool on steroids, it’s worth it, even if I wasn’t making the swap.

I’m close to kicking this project off, but until the stupid travel restrictions let up, I can’t make the trip to pick up all my SC engine parts. That said, I’ve pretty much got everything on order, so it’s just a matter of time before I get started.

I know this update has been crazy, but I want to make sure I know exactly what I’m getting into before I tear everything apart and get stuck....which is probably gonna happen anyway, but at least I’ve thought through everything I can see coming as much as possible!

Tapps33

Full Access Member
Reaction score
nice work man I’m really excited to see how this will play out because I’ve wanted to do this project ever since September. Just a question did you ever decide if you were going to replace the engine all together or swap the parts from a rrs Sc to your engine. Don’t forget to film a couple of 0-60 vids!

I ended up going the rebuild with parts route. I already had all the timing chains and injector seals for my current LR4, then I found a gentleman who’s selling everything I’d need from an SC engine for $800....I just couldn’t pass it up.

Just an FYI for everyone, thus far the project cost looks something like this:

$800 for the SC parts
$380 for the SC ECU’s
$650 for the Nanocom module
$1100 for new pistons, rings and bearings
$3300 for all the timing chain parts, iLand diagnostic tool (which I don’t actually need with the Nanocom...oops) and the top end gasket kit.
$500 in machining fees (I’m guessing on this one, as I haven’t done it yet).
$350 for 4 12” electric fans
$400 for the electric water pump
$400 for the carbon fiber supplies to build the new fan shroud.
$200 for the 825W stereo amplifier (I’ll replace the speakers at some point...when I’m not COMPLETELY broke!)

All I have left to purchase is the lower end gaskets and the SC intercooler coolant pump, custom length serpentine and SC belts. At least. That’s all I know I’ll have to buy...I’m sure something else will come up, it always does.

Obviously, a drop in engine will be very similar in cost as there are a few out there for ~$7K. But, my engine will basically be brand new from the ground up, and it’ll be set up with electric fans and a water pump....complete with a thermostat delete!

I’ll definitely take lots of pictures and videos as I go....you’ll probably see me praying a lot in there too! Lol!...but seriously I will be. [emoji15]

Jimmy Brooks

Full Access Member
Reaction score
that’s awesome!! I really can’t wait to see all the videos. Bet it will be so nice to have a supercharged LR4 with no issues for a long time!!
I ended up going the rebuild with parts route. I already had all the timing chains and injector seals for my current LR4, then I found a gentleman who’s selling everything I’d need from an SC engine for $800....I just couldn’t pass it up.

Just an FYI for everyone, thus far the project cost looks something like this:

$800 for the SC parts
$380 for the SC ECU’s
$650 for the Nanocom module
$1100 for new pistons, rings and bearings
$3300 for all the timing chain parts, iLand diagnostic tool (which I don’t actually need with the Nanocom...oops) and the top end gasket kit.
$500 in machining fees (I’m guessing on this one, as I haven’t done it yet).
$350 for 4 12” electric fans
$400 for the electric water pump
$400 for the carbon fiber supplies to build the new fan shroud.
$200 for the 825W stereo amplifier (I’ll replace the speakers at some point...when I’m not COMPLETELY broke!)

All I have left to purchase is the lower end gaskets and the SC intercooler coolant pump, custom length serpentine and SC belts. At least. That’s all I know I’ll have to buy...I’m sure something else will come up, it always does.

Obviously, a drop in engine will be very similar in cost as there are a few out there for ~$7K. But, my engine will basically be brand new from the ground up, and it’ll be set up with electric fans and a water pump....complete with a thermostat delete!

I’ll definitely take lots of pictures and videos as I go....you’ll probably see me praying a lot in there too! Lol!...but seriously I will be. [emoji15]

Jimmy Brooks

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Update:

Engine Computer (ECM)
ABS/Brake Module (ABS)

I was thinking about this form the other day. Just had to ask the question, did you ever go through with it? What’s the latest?

Tapps33

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Haven’t gone through with it yet as I’m scrambling to finish up a home renovation project first. (Wife’s orders). That said, I’m headed to pick up the last of my parts next Friday (Oct 2nd). That pretty much completes the parts collection save a few random electrical connectors here and there. Plenty of salvage Rovers online to get those from though.

With a little luck, I’ll be underway by mid-Oct with the upgrade.

Tapps33

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I’m excited for the efan and water pump too. The only thing I’m running into difficulty finding an “off the shelf” solution for is the crossover pipe engine block ports. It’s beginning to look more and more like I’ll have to just fabricate the fittings as the ports are 33mm in diameter. (Measured off and old crossover tube). It’s not a show stopper, just adds time to the project.

manoftaste

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Very much tuned to this thread.

If there was one vehicle in the entire Godforsaken lineup that could have really benefited from the SCV8 and, equally important and well needed for the platform, the adaptive dynamic suspension, it was/is the LR4.

The SCV8/Adaptive suspension should have been offered as an available option at least in the top trim landmark.

But LR thought it was more important to offer the adaptive dynamic suspension in Evoque.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
slack