5.0 supercharged into an LR4?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Gareth Tomlinson

Reaction score
My local LR shop (NOT the Dealer!) is also doing timing chain and tensioner replacements on the "new" system, with the ball bearing rather than a steel piston. In their experience it didn't make a whole lot of difference.
Has anyone ever been able to determine why LR thought a stainless steel tensioner hitting an aluminium guide was a good idea?

CodyJay

Reaction score
I just blew my motor and am searching for the same answer. I can get a Jag 5.0 SC for half the price of the NA LR 5.0. Let me know where your at as im ready to pull the trigger.

Tapps33

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I just blew my motor and am searching for the same answer. I can get a Jag 5.0 SC for half the price of the NA LR 5.0. Let me know where your at as im ready to pull the trigger.

Thus far, there’s only one show stopper I haven’t been able to find a solution to yet....and that’s the ECU.

I know my scan tool isn’t capable of programming a new ECU into the vehicle. I’ve called a couple companies offering stock replacement ECU’s and they’re not willing to do any kind of retrofit. Sooo....I’m calling the performance guys. They write entirely new ECU fuel and ignition maps...even trans shift points for RRS ECU’s. I’ve tried to find anyone modifying LR4 ECU’s, but no one seems to be messing with them as there really isn’t any gain to be had with the NA 5.0 engine.

In theory, and I stress theory, there are 2 paths I can go. The first one is to get an RRS ECU and have it re-coded for the LR4. (Thus far I haven’t had any luck finding anyone that can do this).
The second possible solution, which I’m hoping one of the performance guys can do, is to flash the LR4’s ECU with new fuel/ignition/trans maps. Thus, I don’t have to replace my existing, all the other computers are already coded to it, and life is good.

I just started calling late last week and should have an update soon.

If it’s possible to flash the ECU, then I can’t see any other major hurdles to simply “dropping” the SC engine in.

I’ll keep you updated on what I find!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Tapps33

Full Access Member
Reaction score
No, it’ll have to be VIN coded to the LR4, otherwise the system will not initialize correctly and the “security” will keep the engine from running.

Like I said, it’s a giant pain in the rear! Hopefully I’ll have a solution soon.

gsxr

Full Access Member
Reaction score
There HAS to be a way to get around the coding on the RRSC ECU, to allow it to work in the LR4...

:albertein

Tapps33

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I agree! If they can reprogram the RRS ECU, they should easily be able to link it to the LR4....or alternatively just program the LR4 ECU with the RRS tables....either way should work.

The big question is how much it’ll cost...[emoji15]

gsxr

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Reprogramming the LR4 ECU with supercharged data tables could be a monstrous job. I have a feeling it's more complex than it may seem on the surface.

Meanwhile, the RRS ECU just needs to have the security crap tweaked to make it happy in a different chassis. (Right?)

Appears the LR4 V8 ECU is a Denso unit (photo attached). Later V6 SC may be Bosch Motronic?

The RRS 5.0 SC ECU appears to also be a Denso unit, with the label 5.0SC instead of 5.0NA.

LR4 V8 ECU.jpg

RRS-5.0L-SC_ECU.jpg

ktm525

Full Access Member
Reaction score
While I salute your endeavors my personal opinion is the LR4 chassis really isn't suited for more power. I would be be interested in making it more reliable lol.

Tapps33

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Reprogramming the LR4 ECU with supercharged data tables could be a monstrous job. I have a feeling it's more complex than it may seem on the surface.

Meanwhile, the RRS ECU just needs to have the security crap tweaked to make it happy in a different chassis. (Right?)

Appears the LR4 V8 ECU is a Denso unit (photo attached). Later V6 SC may be Bosch Motronic?

The RRS 5.0 SC ECU appears to also be a Denso unit, with the label 5.0SC instead of 5.0NA.

View attachment 10871

View attachment 10872

Truthfully, I don’t know yet. I’ve done a lot of ECU tuning in the past, just not with these engines. When it comes to running the engines, there are really only a few data tables that matter. That said, there’s also a lot of other stuff in there too that’s specific to the vehicle...which is why I don’t know which path would be better to take. RRS or LR4 with an update.

You’re right though, the early model ECU’s were Denso units, and I believe they’re modifiable...I hope.

I wonder if HP Tuners would work? I used that when tuning my truck....lemme check.

Unfortunately, the 2 companies I found that re-program ECU’s are on the west coast and aren’t open yet.... I’m impatiently waiting for them to open so I can call....and possible order my ECU!

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Izanagi