5.0 supercharged into an LR4?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Nechaken

Full Access Member
Reaction score

Tapps33

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yeah, I’m kinda going for OEM feel, just more horsepower. Aka, this is my wife’s DD, so everything had better work the way it’s supposed to! Translation, no Check engine light.

Truthfully, that’s what’s driving the swap for me. In theory, and I stress the theory part, I should be able to drop this engine in and everything will mate up (with a little tweaking) and operate as if the vehicle was designed that way.

The only problem is that I can find anyone who’s ac to actually done it yet!

From what I can tell, the only real differences between the engines are:

1. The supercharger (no brainer)
2. Crank pulley (has extra space for SC belt)
3. Serpentine pulley has an extra pulley to route SC belt
4. Engine computer (different ECU, but physically identical to the NA’s ECU...theoretically all I’ll need to dye is program the new ECU into the existing BCU)
5. Coolant line for the SC
6. Inter cooler on the front of the engine
7. Different pistons
8. Maybe a slightly different wiring harness (not sure on that one, but I’m guessing the SC may have moved a sensor or two)
9. I believe the RRS has slightly different exhaust manifolds, but I’m thinking that was more due to the shortened wheel base, and the LR4 manifolds will bolt right up.
10. The cylinder heads may actually be different, I just haven’t figured out how yet . (They’re different LR part numbers, indicating there’s some sort of difference....my guess is that there is some slightly different geometry in the combustion area of the head to assist with the decreased compression ratio....because the camshafts are the same, as well as the valves)

Honestly, it looks like I may be able to put together all the parts and just do this when I go in to do the timing chain update. It would just be really nice to know if someone has already done this as I’m sure there’s an inevitable “gotcha” I haven’t thought of yet!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

gsxr

Full Access Member
Reaction score
When you reach the point of having to swap pistons... it becomes a lot more enticing to just swap the entire engine instead. I wouldn't attempt to convert a normally-aspirated motor to supercharged, but that's just me. Too many unknowns, too much risk...

:eek:

AGLR4

Reaction score
I'll be following along to hear about your success. I am in the middle of an LR4 head gasket project. If it wasn't for the different pistons I would do this as well. I have the whole top end apart so it would be relatively simple to add the other items. At this point the bottom end seems solid, so I really don't want to have to drop pistons as that would add quite a bit of extra work.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Tapps33

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I’ll keep you guys in the loop as things develop, but I too need to start a timing belt/head gasket update....at that point, I figure I’ll just pull the whole motor, rebuild everything and even put a new TC in, just to be safe.

A crate motor would be the best way to do it, but so I’ve it looks like I’ll have an all in budget of about $2k...ish vs $8K for a RTO, I may just pull the trigger on it.

AGLR4

Reaction score
I’ll keep you guys in the loop as things develop, but I too need to start a timing belt/head gasket update....at that point, I figure I’ll just pull the whole motor, rebuild everything and even put a new TC in, just to be safe.

A crate motor would be the best way to do it, but so I’ve it looks like I’ll have an all in budget of about $2k...ish vs $8K for a RTO, I may just pull the trigger on it.

How many miles on the RTO though?

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Tapps33

Full Access Member
Reaction score
About 100K

But, I’ve already bought all the timing chain/head gasket stuff. So even if I buy the RTO, I’ll probably go back through it and rebuild it just to be safe....I’m kinda OCD like that. [emoji28]

SNOOPY

Reaction score
So bolting a new 5.0 motor from Ford thru Summit Racing won't fix the issue. No need for a SC.. Just take the motor apart at leisure to sell or hold onto for another date...

Any help would be wonderful...

Tapps33

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Quick update:

I’ve been looking into the head differences more and more, and I made a small discovery. Originally I thought the valves were identical between the two cyl heads....as it turns out the exhaust valves are the same, but the intake valves are different. Which makes sense as the SC is pushing more air into the cylinder. I can’t tell exactly what the difference, only that they have a different part number from LR (the exhaust valves are the same part number for the NA and SC engines.)

Just wanted to make sure I don’t pass junk information in case someone else is thinking of doing the same thing!

Gareth Tomlinson

Reaction score
I'd still like to swap out the LR engine for a GM unit, I had an old friend in the Middle east replaced his RR with an Isuzu diesel, but he had a full workshop and some very inventive helpers! I can't help feeling there's potentially a big demand for replacing the time chain eating monstrosity for something that would keep the bills down.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
washburn72