5.0 supercharged into an LR4?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

gsxr

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I guess I don't understand why not just fix the timing chain /guides tensioner on the original engine? It isn't like these items keep failing. It should be a once-per-lifetime issue, per engine. The new parts are updated, it won't happen again (if changing the correct oil frequently enough).

The cost and effort involved with any conversion would far exceed the cost of the chain/tensioner/etc work, and the benefits of any conversion are questionable at best... just my $0.02...

:albertein

Tapps33

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I guess I don't understand why not just fix the timing chain /guides tensioner on the original engine? It isn't like these items keep failing. It should be a once-per-lifetime issue, per engine. The new parts are updated, it won't happen again (if changing the correct oil frequently enough).

The cost and effort involved with any conversion would far exceed the cost of the chain/tensioner/etc work, and the benefits of any conversion are questionable at best... just my $0.02...

:albertein

You’re right, but I have a slight “tinkering” problem! That said, I’m fairly confident my head gasket is on its way out, so at a bare minimum I’m taking the heads off.....which then sparks the question, do I pull the engine and have the block decked? I also feel like my TC is starting to hit the far end of its lifespan as I can feel a few bumps and what not when the trans shifts....so, now I’m pulling the body and engine.

With the engine out, I can easily complete my electric water pump and fan conversion, as well as modify the engine any way I like easily, then just drop it back in and program the new ECU. (This Is of course all in theory [emoji51])

FYI, I just purchased a used supercharger, set of heads, wiring harness, crankshaft, and a whole bunch of other parts for $800....all I have left to buy is the extra top end gaskets (I’m missing 2 in my NA kit), the crank pulley and bolt, the SC belt tensioner and an ECU. All told, I’ll probably have about $2K invested in the SC upgrade....so, assuming everything works, it’s not at all that much money....considering it’ll basically be a new engine.

More importantly, my wife is gonna love the extra power! [emoji7]

Of course if I fail in this attempt....she’s gonna **** me! [emoji15]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

gsxr

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If the heads do have to come off, you don't need to deck the block (probably not even the head) unless there was severe overheating. These motors are not like old domestic V8's with iron block/heads. I'm not sure if the TC will have any significant effect on shifting, it's more likely to be something else. Make sure you don't chase red herrings - at great expense.

Remember you don't want to bolt on a supercharger with high-compression pistons. I'm also not convinced that other components were not upgraded / reinforced for the supercharged engines. Other European manufacturers often use different head castings, or have additional block modifications, for the normall-aspirated vs forced-induction versions of the same engine. I don't know enough about the AJ133 to speculate.

:ahhhhh:

Tapps33

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You’re right, the newer engines aren’t like the old iron V8’s, but I have yet to come cross an aluminum head that didn’t at least need to be polished before going back on.

You’re right, I will have to replace the pistons to the lower compression ones as well as the crank. Also, the heads are different between the motors, so there’s that. Because I’m a little OCD, I’ve been going through both engines, almost part by part and matching part numbers across the two in order to make sure that if I do in fact pull this trigger I know exactly what is/isn’t different between the two. Of course, even if I get everything built perfectly, there’s no guarantee I can get the new ECU to play nice with the rest of the LR4 electronics....[emoji848]

As for the TC, it was slipping really bad a few months ago, but a fluid swap and mechatronic seals and the trans was back to normal....almost. After looking around these forums enough, it looks like the TC’s tend to give out around the 180K miles....which is where I’m close to. For $450, while I’ve got the engine out, it’s peace of mind....especially if I plus the power up to 510. (Rimmerbros hs a rebuilt TC on sale for $450, in case anyone is interested)

For the rest of the swap, I’m still researching, and honestly I still have another month or two of parts “stocking” before I can even attempt this....plus I need my toddlers to go back to daycare so I have the time!

You are right though, I too don’t know enough about the AJ133...yet!

gsxr

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Awesome. Sounds like you have a really good handle on the upgrade. I'm looking forward to your project!

:beer:

Tapps33

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I plan on posting it as I go!

Hopefully the e-pump/fan upgrade will help solve the water pump and crossover tube issue too....time will tell!

Jimmy Brooks

Full Access Member
Reaction score
A while back I thought of doing the same thing. I didn’t go as deep into what I would have to swap over, the furthest I went was knowing I needed to do the throttle body, intake manifold, supercharger, crank pully and supercharger belt. Although I did research deep enough to know that nobody that owned a naturally aspirated 5.0 Land Rover or Range Rover supercharged it. However, I didn’t dig into the jag forms about it so you maybe able to find something in there about it.

avslash

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I would definitely be one of those in the market for a GM swap if/when my chains go.

A 450hp/450tq NA motor that is reliable, any Billy Bob can work on and parts can be had for at the local Napa would make it worth it to me.

I suspect (but don't know) that physically fitting an LS wouldn't be that big of a headache. The headache would be keeping factory functionality of the electronics.

While I'm interested in the supercharger project from a technical perspective, I wouldn't want to add another level of complexity and failure points to my off-road rig. I would be chasing simple, reliable and serviceable if I were to make a switch.

Good luck, I'm interested to see your results.

gsxr

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I suspect (but don't know) that physically fitting an LS wouldn't be that big of a headache. The headache would be keeping factory functionality of the electronics.
This. ^^^

I have a feeling quite a few other systems may not be happy with the original ECU not functioning. And some of those systems may be what makes the LR4 capabilities special.

While I'm interested in the supercharger project from a technical perspective, I wouldn't want to add another level of complexity and failure points to my off-road rig. I would be chasing simple, reliable and serviceable if I were to make a switch.
For off-road use I don't think the power increase makes much sense. Has anyone ever felt 375hp was inadequate for rock-crawling? Probably not. The supercharged powerplant is really for pavement use, IMO. While I'm content with the stock power level, the supercharged level would increase the smile/giggle factor substantially. Is it worth it? THAT, Detective Spooner, is the right question.

o_O

Tapps33

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have to agree, 510 hp for off-roading, plus the extra parts may be a little over ****!

As far as whether it’s worth it? Well, more horsepower is ALWAYS worth it in my book! That said, I also have a tinkering problem, and am always looking for a new challenge, and this qualifies!

Realistically, I’m probably about a couple of months away from starting....stupid pandemic!

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tflint2112