5.0 supercharged into an LR4?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Tapps33

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Reprogramming the LR4 ECU with supercharged data tables could be a monstrous job. I have a feeling it's more complex than it may seem on the surface.

Meanwhile, the RRS ECU just needs to have the security crap tweaked to make it happy in a different chassis. (Right?)

Appears the LR4 V8 ECU is a Denso unit (photo attached). Later V6 SC may be Bosch Motronic?

The RRS 5.0 SC ECU appears to also be a Denso unit, with the label 5.0SC instead of 5.0NA.

View attachment 10871

View attachment 10872

Truthfully, I don’t know yet. I’ve done a lot of ECU tuning in the past, just not with these engines. When it comes to running the engines, there are really only a few data tables that matter. That said, there’s also a lot of other stuff in there too that’s specific to the vehicle...which is why I don’t know which path would be better to take. RRS or LR4 with an update.

You’re right though, the early model ECU’s were Denso units, and I believe they’re modifiable...I hope.

I wonder if HP Tuners would work? I used that when tuning my truck....lemme check.

Unfortunately, the 2 companies I found that re-program ECU’s are on the west coast and aren’t open yet.... I’m impatiently waiting for them to open so I can call....and possible order my ECU!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Tapps33

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Just checked, HP Tuners only supports 14 and up engines.

Aka the newer ECU....[emoji15]

Tapps33

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I probably should have added that so far I haven’t found any differences in the sensors between the 2 engines....so in theory, the NA computer with new data tables (possibly just copies of the stock SC files) should work.....should being the key word.

Still waiting on the shops to open ....[emoji848]

Tapps33

Full Access Member
Reaction score
While I salute your endeavors my personal opinion is the LR4 chassis really isn't suited for more power. I would be be interested in making it more reliable lol.

Very true, it’ll never handle the same as a RRS, the suspension just isn’t there. However, for just driving around town, the extra “get up and go” will be a lot of fun!

Plus it’ll be kinda cool just to say you have a supercharged LR4! [emoji48]

Tapps33

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Update 4/29/20:

So, long story short, no one can seem to give me a definitive yes or no as to whether it’s possible to recode to ECU.

One thing I did find out from the tuner at Vivid Racing was that we should be able to plug the SC ECU in and the engine will start and run....but he did say a lot of the features won’t work until the ECU is linked to the chassis and VIN.

Now, as I’ve been pouring over the wiring diagrams for both ECU’s, there are only 3 (or 5 depending on the year) additional pins that function on the SC ECU:

Connector C0634 pins 83 and 37. These are for the Turbo manifold pressure sensor, which is in addition to the MAP sensor....which is the same on both engines. In theory, if you’re running a SC wiring harness, connector C0634 is included in that harness, and so the TMAP sensor integration should be seamless.

Connector C0635L pin 35 is the ground/trigger for the Intercooler Water Pump relay. Since this is on the chassis side of the ECU, it may or may not exist in the LR4’s wiring harness. However, every other fuse and relay I’ve looked at is identical between the LR4 and the RRS. So my theory is that the pin out exists and is wired to a relay slot that is empty on the LR4. (I haven’t been able to go out and look yet). Assuming it’s there, all you would need to do is plug in a new relay, and then find the associated power wire, and hook up your accessory water pump. If it’s not there, then you’ll just have to wire a new relay up for the intercooler pump.

Finally, Connector C0635L pins 41 & 54 are for the Diagnostic Socket on the RRS. They are not listed on the LR4’s diagram, but may be accessible via the OBD2 port?....or it could be a year model thing as I’m using a 2010 LR4 wiring diagram and a 2011 RRS SC diagram.

I’ll update as I find out more.

Tapps33

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Update 1 May 2020:

I’ve been talking to a lot of different companies, and still, no one knows. I’ve been emailing back and forth with GAP tools (aka the makers of the iiD scan tool). They seem to think they can figure it out, but it’ll take a full week’s worth of work. (Aka really pricey) I’ll let you know how that one goes.

Another avenue I’ve been pursuing is modifying the ECU myself using the Ktag system. However, according to Alientech, the only file you can modify on the Denso ECU is the micro map file...or basically the fuel, ignition and timing curves, plus a few other odds and ends. Evidently, the immobilizer information is stored somewhere else. So, his recommendation was that when I receive my P5.0SC ECU, plug it into the LR4 and see what happens via the iLAND diagnostic tool. If everything shows up, it may be all we really need to do is edit the name of the ECU itself so it matches the name of the existing LR4 ECU. Truthfully, he wasn’t an expert on our ECU’s, but he mentioned it was really odd the way it’s set up.

So, at this point, there’s are still a lot of questions I need to answer. The limiting factor seems to be the Denso ECU..... if only we had waited and bought our vehicles in 2014, we’d have the BOSCH ECU’s which are easier to modify!

I’ll keep working and keep everyone in the loop as I go!

That said, if anyone has any knowledge how the BCU Immobilizer control unit, and ECU talk, please chime in and let us know! It’ll definitely help solve our problem!

Strizzo

Full Access Member
Reaction score
i wonder if it would just be easier to reflash the bcm to expect a RRS supercharged engine computer, and just use a RRS ecu and engine harness. we know everything "should" bolt up but in the end it could be more trouble than its worth. I would love to see it though, good luck!

Latest posts

Staff online

• joey
    Custom Rover Accessories

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
OnoA