95 disco stuck in park

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Zende

Full Access Member
Reaction score
95 automatic disco was stuck in park yesterday... i removed top of shifter cap and was pulling the little rod up/down and was able to shift out of park through out the day..
Today, I go to start it, same problem.. It will not shift out of park and my little trick is not working anymore..
Keep in mind that my brake lights are working, so i dont think its a bad switch..
Do I have to tow it to land rover? How will they get it on a tow truck with my wheels in park? Is there some sort of safety release?

Can it be...
Bad interlock module?
park/neutral switch on the transfer gear box?

What do you guys think?
I need you HELP QUICK... PLEASE

joey

Custom Rover Accessories
Staff member
Reaction score
If you have brake lights, check for the clip that works the shifter release button. Remove the top of the shifter (Pull real hard and try not to knock yourself out) check to make sure the button is working correctly.

joey

Custom Rover Accessories
Staff member
Reaction score
Here is more info I just found:

ok, go out to your truck. Open rear door. Swap the leads from the heated rear window with the brake light. Start truck. Turn on HRW. email back if the shifter is not released.
if thats doesn;t do it
Can't shift out of park - Troubleshooting
Vehicle - Land Rover Discovery and 1995 Range Rover Classic
Check to see if you have stoplights. No lights check:
a. Fuse f1 in the fascia fuse box ok? (Discovery, if the fuse the blows check the terminals on the back window grids making sure they are not touching each other causing a short. They get bent easily)
b. Inspect the brake light switch on the brake pedal (The brake light switch has four wires on it and the cruise switch has two wires and a vacuum line on it).
If switch is intact:
a. Jump the green/purple wire and the green/orange wire; the brake lights should come on enabling the shift out of park.
b. Caution! The brake lights will be on all the time. Have problem repaired as soon as possible. Also you may get an ABS fault stored.
If you have stoplights pop the top of the shift lever off and check to see if the clip on the button is intact. They have been known to come off and not lift the rod in the handle.
1992-1994 Range Rover Classic:
Same as above except: Dash fuse box fuse# B1 and jump wires: white/purple and green/purple at brake light switch #AMR2010G.

Zende

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks Joey,

I just could not get it to shift out of park again, I tried everything you mentioned. Land rover said it may be the linkage in the shifter.
I will know on monday...

M

mikep00

same problem with shift release

hello all,
this just happened to me...i was about to leave for lunch (I'm at work) and my gear shift is stuck in park. I came back to my desk and checked this forum. How do you open the shifter? I feel like I'm going to brake it...
Thanks, Mike

bleizit

Reaction score
Joey - You rock! I greatly appreciate your help regarding these postings. Mine locked in drive at home and you made it an easy .50 fix rather than a tow to the shop. Take Care!

Last edited:

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
heather8635