'97 D90 doesn't want to start in the morning

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Disco Mike

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I would also suggest a new fuel filter.
You have 2 issues, the start problem and the high idle. For the idle, clean the t/body and the IAC. For the start problem, if it is still there after a full tune up, and you are running high octane, then get back to us.
Consider adding a bottle of B&G 44K to your gas tank to clean out the injectors and carbon and do an induction cleaning.

BMGmotors

Reaction score
So I got some new plugs and wires and the D90 started right up this morning. Well not actually right up but after a couple cranks, it sounded like it wasn't going to fire up but then it did! Thanks for all the advice. Disco Mike, you mentioned if the problem still occured after running high octane to come back to y'all, which made me wonder am I supposed to be using premium or mid-grade petrol in my Defender? Cause this whole time I've been filling the tank w/ regular.

joey

Custom Rover Accessories
Staff member
Reaction score
Premium is the only thing you should put in it

BMGmotors

Reaction score
Alright so this morning the truck didn't want to start again, after I used starting fluid though it started right up. I didn't have to use the fluid when I started it the next two times this morning though and then on my way to school noticed my check engine light on.

joey

Custom Rover Accessories
Staff member
Reaction score
If it starts with starting fluid it is a fuel issue... all it has is fuel pump, fuel filter, fuel pressure regulator, and injectors.

Disco Mike

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First, if the fuel filter hasn't been replaced in awhile do that.
Then I want you to try starting the engine by first turning the key to the second position, let it sit for 5 seconds and turn it off, do this 4 times and then try starting it. If that starts it OK, then you have a bad valve, allowing the fuel to drain out of your fuel rails at night and so you have no gas to start on in the morning. By priming the fuel pump with the key you should be able to start on the first attempt. If that is the case, start looking for a new fuel pump.

BMGmotors

Reaction score
Okay will do, but the fuel pump is brand new. I put it in in I think february.

BMGmotors

Reaction score
My starter also doesn't kick the gear out far enough sometime which I read could be indicative of some electrical problems so could that be part of the issue? I have a new starter to install but getting the original one out is not easy at all.

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dandavies9