a/c drain in lr3

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

eddeffy

Reaction score
Where is the a/c drain ****** in LR3. The pictures for the discovery didn't help.
Thanks,
Ed

kwlr3

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Almost positive that it is behind the triangular carpeted trim piece on the inside of the drivers (left) foot well.

bbyer

Full Access Member
Reaction score
yes, down by the gas pedal but there are two of them

Yes, there are two front drains re the AC, one on each side of the transmission ****, the left one is near the gas pedal of a LHD.

There are three files towards the bottom of the link below showing the drains.
If you have wet carpet down there, one of the hoses has disattached itself - kind of a common concern but you can reattach per the instructions on the files.

http://www.**************/gallery/thumbnails.php?album=3801

Where the **** are, substitute disco3 co uk and put a period in each of the two spaces - blocking you know.

If you have the rear AC as well, you can see the rubber drain hose from inside the left side rear compartment. The water drips on top of the left muffler heat shield - that is why you never see any water dripping from the rear. Re the front, same sort of thing - drips down on to some shields and plates and most often evaporates before the water drips to the ground.

KrioK

Reaction score
Hi, BBYER

I didn't saw the file that you indicate related to front drains.

I`m facing water leak in the footrest area (LHD vehicle).:bawling:

Could you help me?

Thank you!

Yes, there are two front drains re the AC, one on each side of the transmission ****, the left one is near the gas pedal of a LHD.

There are three files towards the bottom of the link below showing the drains.
If you have wet carpet down there, one of the hoses has disattached itself - kind of a common concern but you can reattach per the instructions on the files.

http://www.**************/gallery/thumbnails.php?album=3801

Where the **** are, substitute disco3 co uk and put a period in each of the two spaces - blocking you know.

If you have the rear AC as well, you can see the rubber drain hose from inside the left side rear compartment. The water drips on top of the left muffler heat shield - that is why you never see any water dripping from the rear. Re the front, same sort of thing - drips down on to some shields and plates and most often evaporates before the water drips to the ground.

bbyer

Full Access Member
Reaction score
AC on or has it been raining?

This file is one of the two specific to the AC/Heater/Cowl drains. Given that the wet is closest to the foot rest on the drivers side, that suggests a plugged sun roof drain.

If wet appears in hot weather when you have been using the AC and it has not been raining, then that suggests the AC/Heater Cowl drains as below.

http://www.disco3. co. uk/gallery/displayimage.php?album=30300&pos=5

Copy and paste the link above but remove the two spaces added to resolve the link blocking - unfortunate nuisance but ...

This link is to the album with the two files, plus some other good stuff.
Same as above, remove the two spaces.

http://www.disco3. co. uk/gallery/thumbnails.php?album=30300

This link is to lots of good stuff re the 3.

http://www.disco3. co. uk/gallery/index.php?cat=15405

Attachments

• Air Conditioning Drain on Drivers Side IMGP0697.jpg
    Air Conditioning Drain on Drivers Side IMGP0697.jpg
    93.6 KB · Views: 467
  • LR3 Front Air Conditioner drain tubes sketch.jpg
    LR3 Front Air Conditioner drain tubes sketch.jpg
    27.9 KB · Views: 314

KrioK

Reaction score
Hi, bbyer

Thanks a lot for your explanation.

I decided to test each of options today.

First, I drove in the morning (sunny day) without a/c and no leaks inside. DONE

Second I drove in the afternoon (still sunny day) with a/c. When I checked the drains behind center stack I saw drops around the left drain (driver side) LHD. I do not know if it would be sufficient for the amount of water I saw days ago, but I made the procedure: I introduced a wire into the drain to unclog (down and up - two directions). Now, it seems that it's ok, I just see the sweat drains (condensed), the left drain sweat more than right side. Tomorrow I`ll drive for longer with a/c on. (you can see pictures attached)

Then, I think that I`ll be ready for rain test.

ps. I lost the triangle carpet clip (right side), when I pulled the triangle the clip flew behind the center stack (lost). Do you know where I can find another one?

Thank you!:smile:

Rodrigo

This file is one of the two specific to the AC/Heater/Cowl drains. Given that the wet is closest to the foot rest on the drivers side, that suggests a plugged sun roof drain.

If wet appears in hot weather when you have been using the AC and it has not been raining, then that suggests the AC/Heater Cowl drains as below.

http://www.disco3. co. uk/gallery/displayimage.php?album=30300&pos=5

Copy and paste the link above but remove the two spaces added to resolve the link blocking - unfortunate nuisance but ...

This link is to the album with the two files, plus some other good stuff.
Same as above, remove the two spaces.

http://www.disco3. co. uk/gallery/thumbnails.php?album=30300

This link is to lots of good stuff re the 3.

http://www.disco3. co. uk/gallery/index.php?cat=15405

Attachments

• IMG_9700b.jpg
    IMG_9700b.jpg
    675.3 KB · Views: 138
  • IMG_9705b.jpg
    IMG_9705b.jpg
    258 KB · Views: 173

bbyer

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Clip part number FYC 500040

What you are saying is that the one hose you looked at had not actually slipped down and off the plastic drain *** of the heater cowling, but that the hose seemed to have condensation or moisture on the outside.

When one or both hoses slip off, that is when you get the real floods, however if one or both of the hoses is plugged, then eventually the area within the heater cowling would fill up and water would exit somewhere or flow from one hose area to the other or sort of seep out the plugged hose - kind of what you may have.

I would say you are doing the right thing, pushing a wire down and also up as something is probably plugged with leaves and dirt. You might also try pumping water from a squirt bottle down both of the drain hoses and see if the hoses overflow or if the water seems to drain somewhere.

If the hoses are draining OK, the odds are you will not see water on the ground. The hoses tend to drain onto the skid plates below and the water just sits there and either blows off when traveling or evaporates.

If you get real brave, run a water hose into the cowl vents up under the windscreen wipers; make like a rain shower on the windshield, not like a fire hose directly into the cowl. The water that goes into the cowl should drain out the two hoses.

The link below is to a file related to your missing clip. The Land Rover part number is FYC 500040. As with most of the rest of us, you may as well purchase a few as over time, you will need them. Ford seems to have them programmed to disappear into dark recesses within the 3.

http://www.disco3. co. uk/gallery/displayimage.php?pos=-143550

Attachments

• Clip Metal Spring FYC500040 to secure infotainment plastic surround showing parts bag.JPG
    Clip Metal Spring FYC500040 to secure infotainment plastic surround showing parts bag.JPG
    47.4 KB · Views: 49
  • Clip Metal Spring FYC500040 to secure infotainment plastic surround.JPG
    Clip Metal Spring FYC500040 to secure infotainment plastic surround.JPG
    19.6 KB · Views: 54

KrioK

Reaction score
Yes, the one hose had not actually slipped down and off the plastic drain but drops were falling from between the hose and the plastic (mouth of the tube), besides the condensation (pic attached).

Let's see tomorow during the ride!

What you are saying is that the one hose you looked at had not actually slipped down and off the plastic drain *** of the heater cowling, but that the hose seemed to have condensation or moisture on the outside.

When one or both hoses slip off, that is when you get the real floods, however if one or both of the hoses is plugged, then eventually the area within the heater cowling would fill up and water would exit somewhere or flow from one hose area to the other or sort of seep out the plugged hose - kind of what you may have.

I would say you are doing the right thing, pushing a wire down and also up as something is probably plugged with leaves and dirt. You might also try pumping water from a squirt bottle down both of the drain hoses and see if the hoses overflow or if the water seems to drain somewhere.

If the hoses are draining OK, the odds are you will not see water on the ground. The hoses tend to drain onto the skid plates below and the water just sits there and either blows off when traveling or evaporates.

If you get real brave, run a water hose into the cowl vents up under the windscreen wipers; make like a rain shower on the windshield, not like a fire hose directly into the cowl. The water that goes into the cowl should drain out the two hoses.

The link below is to a file related to your missing clip. The Land Rover part number is FYC 500040. As with most of the rest of us, you may as well purchase a few as over time, you will need them. Ford seems to have them programmed to disappear into dark recesses within the 3.

http://www.disco3. co. uk/gallery/displayimage.php?pos=-143550

Attachments

• IMG_9689b.jpg
    IMG_9689b.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 93

bbyer

Full Access Member
Reaction score
one hose had slipped right off

On my 3, the left hose by the gas pedal had slipped right off.

I did not try any unplugging of the rubber hose; I just slipped the hose back up over the ****** and it seemed tight. A couple of years on, all still seems OK.

My 3 is tucked away in a garage every night so it lives a pretty protected existence. It does venture out most days however.

JoeS

Reaction score
This may be helpful to others. I had trouble locating from images above, although they were certainly helpful in troubleshooting. I talked about the sunroof drain issue but that was my problem, so I located the AC drain plug and that resolved it.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tflint2112