A-Pillar Leak - Again

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

jptruck

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I know this issue has been discussed on the boards, but is anyone else having problems with their A-Pillar leaking into the vehicle? Land Rover Chantilly supposedly fixed the problem six-months ago, but I woke up this morning (particularily rainy day here) to find my floorboard soaking wet.

Anyone else having repeat problems with this? The carpet on my floorboard has taken a nice reddish color in places because of the leak. I'm not sure if that's lubricant mixing with the water as it flows into the vehicle, but I'm tempted to ask if it should be replaced.

Anyone?

S

Schattenjager

I have totally resolved this issue and it wont repeat itself - EVER.

After seeing ALL of the many posts about trips to the dealer, cleaning and re-attaching hoses, dropping headliner to check this & that, resealing windshields etc. I decided to SEAL everything!

After I disconnected the front sunroof switch, I used clear RTV on the sunroof to seal the glass seam and then the plastic seam that contacts the painted roof. Then I used BLACK duct tape (indeed!) to further protect the RTV silicon.

Next was the windshield. I used a THIN coat of clear RTV along the top glass rubber and painted roof. I paid special attention to the connections of trim stuff on the A pillars - sealing everything very well. Then again, I used black duct tape to cover the work.

Sounds primitive, but so is water in the car that you can not cure. I could now take my Rover to 20,000 Leagues without a leak! This fixed it. I have a clear sunroof above and a toasty dry interior inside.

THis weekend I plan on flipping the Rover over and start working on the bottom! LOL!

Cpa4S

Full Access Member
Reaction score
mine is a june 2006 build date - we have been living in Vancouver like weather for the last 40 days. i have driven through rain that reduced visibility to nothing. the car has been sitting in parking lots in down pours and no water *********** anywhere.

hopefully this signals no leaks in at least those model years forward

dbregman

Reaction score
It just rained for the first time in Northen California this weekend and to my dismay my three week old LR3 (certified 2005 model) was leaking. The headliner was saturated on the left side and the water was dripping onto the drivers side treadplate from the A pillar.

I took it to the dealer yesterday and they just called to say it was the windshield seal and it should be fixed today.

jptruck

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The 2005 seems to have this more often than the 06 (am I correct?). You probably had the same issue I did. It required them to completely take apart the A-Pillar and plug the holes and uncrimp/unclog the drainage line. I think there are other posts on this board that are more detailed about this fix.

dbregman

Reaction score
The dealer said that the windshield needed to be resealed and that the resealed it and tested it and no leak. We will see. They also said they had turned-on the daytime running lights (per my request), but alas no lights at all. I have a call into the dealer.

A

apinti

I had the same problem with my roof. Mine was leaking from the right pillar due to the way my truck was parked. An word of advice. If you guys take the liner of, make sure you don.t pull the tray hose of the fender. it will be almost imposible to plug it back in without taking the dash board of. I ended up installing a new hose which I plugged it in the air condition drain under the dash board. This was a few months ago and so far no water inside but somethime, when the air condition fan is runing and it's raining ,I can hear a water dripping sound from the right side were i installed the new hose. I suspect that is because of the air runnig up the hose while the water is going down. It will go away as soon as the hose clears of water and so far....no leaks.

Last edited by a moderator:

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
washburn72