About to Get BFG AT's: Question

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

franklin

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Been waiting for this moment. My OEM Goodyear's are finally wearing out-after 20K miles. Been eyeing the BFG AT's all the while-I will be getting them mounted next week at one of the more reputable tire places nearby. The sales guy was very helpful although he did bring up some ??'s regarding a slightly larger tire. Not that this will stop me-but I figured I'd ask folks out there anyway:

For folks who have the 265/65 18's, did you have to do anything to re-calibrate air suspension due to increased diameter?
Is there any need to re-program other systems, ABS, Trans, etc?

Any info appreciated!

davez26

Full Access Member
Reaction score
No changes needed. They will rub the bump @ the front of the rear wheel well opeinings under full compression off-road, and sometimes in a really hard curve @ low speeds. The tires just rub the plastc.
There is nothing to recalibrate for ABS or ETC, they both rely on a comparison of wheel speeds to each other to operate.
You will notice a little power drop off, and a little heavier brake for the first week or so, until you get used to it. I've never realy noticed a difference in shifting, and that may be because I've compensated for power by pushing the go pedal a little more.
I have no regrets w/ these tires. I use my car for work and play, and they let me do whatever I want.
There are some threads, but this pretty much sums it up.

franklin

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks-Appreciate the info. I have had these tires on my Defender and on a Ford Explorer. They are great for just about every driving situation and never seem to wear out. Looking forward to the change!

nwoods

Full Access Member
Reaction score
They are awesome tires. You won't have any regrets fitting them on.
However, for other options, I made a list:

http://blog.nextstepdesigns.com/?p=46

100143403-M-3.jpg

franklin

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the list-you'll be glad to know that I used your info for reference when ordering. They go on the truck today-can't wait-

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TeriM