Advice on peeling dash

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

rovertrippin

Reaction score
Hi all,

I just wanted to share my experience since I found this thread so helpful. Just recently purchased a 2016 LandMark with only one flaw, this dreaded shrinking and peeling leather dash. My intention was to find a used replacement, but after searching and searching I could not find an exact match. I got fed up at looking at the dash one day and decided to dive in and see if I could at least glue it down flat so it wouldn’t be as distracting. Well, this turned into quite a project after experimenting with ways to restore the leather as best as possible. See pictures of my experience below.

I’ll spare the tare down details as that’s been covered here before. You can also find a few helpful videos on YouTube.

1. Here was the state on my dash with about an inch of shrinkage at the worst point and stitches broken in the two middle stitch lines. The leather looks shiny because I treated with loads of leather conditioner to rehydrate the dried out shrunken leather. It was severely dehydrated as a made several applications until the leather could not soak in anymore.
IMG_5459.jpeg

2. The conditioner worked well to make the leather smooth and pliable again, but I was not able to restore the shape from the shrinkage damage. I did some searching for methods restoring shrunken leather, but came to the conclusion it was impossible and the leather needed to be replaced. Until I came across methods for stretching new leather and gave that a shot. HEAT only shrinks shrunken leather even more, but alcohol was looked promising so I gave it a shoot. It supposedly opens the pores of the leather and allows it to expand?
IMG_5460.jpeg

I kept soaking the leather if 50/50 water and isopropyl alcohol while trying to stretch the leather by hand. To my surprise it was releasing the shrunken portions of the leather slowly.

3. After my hands got sore I came up with another strategy. The alcohol/water mix kept drying up so I used some rags drenched in the solution to keep it moist. Then I clamped some weights about 3-5 pounds per clamp to the leather in order to maintain constant pulling force. I layered the leather with pvc slats to prevent the leather from getting damaged. I also tilted and tied down the dashboard so the force of the weight was pulling in the direction I wanted the leather to move.
IMG_5461.jpeg

A huge improvement showed after 4 hours and the leather had moved 3/4 of an inch. I did notice that after a while the leather would shrink again by a 1/4 inch.

>>>

rovertrippin

Reaction score
<<<

4. Now that I knew this method was working I turned to addressing the broken stitches.
IMG_5503.jpeg

I never stitched leather before but it looks ok from 10 feet away.
IMG_5466.jpeg

I couldn’t wait so I tucked in the leather as best as I could to see what it would look like.
IMG_5506.jpeg

5. And then came the glueing.

IMG_5473.jpeg

IMG_5505.jpeg

It’s raining out, but as soon as I get a chance I will share pictures of the finished product.

Last edited:

powershift

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Looking good. I didn't realize that part was leather lol. I treated all the leather on the seats and center console, but didn't hit the dash lol. Nice work!

ktm525

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Not all dashes are leather. That was a special "upgrade". In the reality of life it is a pretty stupid option for dash material.

ryanjl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Not all dashes are leather. That was a special "upgrade". In the reality of life it is a pretty stupid option for dash material.

My old Disco 1 had a peeling dash when it was about 4 years old. It's part of the Land Rover tradition.

ryanjl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Was it leather?
Fake leather that used crappy glue to adhere it up by the windshield. Glue went bad if you parked in the sun enough. Land Rover made a fix-it-kit that was essentially a plastic trim piece that you'd screw down up by the windshield to clamp down and hold the front of the dash in place. Required removing the windshield to install.

timc930

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Just noticed the other day that some of the white boarder material at the windshield edge of the leather is starting to show in a few different area's due to the leather starting to shrink. 2015 LUX with extended leather. Dash replaced under warranty around 2018. I tend to look at the dash thru the windshield very closely every couple of months, and noticed the white edge of the leather starting to show. Live in SC, car parked outside, but always use windshield shades. Never treated/conditioned the leather, but that will change this weekend!

Leather has not starter to lift up at all, still attached, just shrinking a bit.

What is a good (best???) brand of leather conditioner?

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
washburn72