Aftermaket Air Filters

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

jesus_man

Full Access Member
Reaction score
K&N doesn't filter well until it's filthy, then their claim of more air flow is out the window. If you want a cleanable filter, check out AEM Brute Force.

I've seen independent charts to back this up. Will see if I can find them again.

Thanks Mike - I'll start looking at where I can source the factory filter.

J.D.

schafari

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Wow, let the fear mongering go into overdrive I guess. . . Despite the FUD being espoused, can't imagine in this litigous society, if K&N was truly the antichrist as you portray, there wouldn't be lawsuits decades ago. Also you would have to simply ignore the actual testing that has been done. . .independetly according to ISO 5011 developed by Society of Engineers (SOE) that has proven that they are just as effective if not more than OEM filters.

Also keep in mind that they are made in America. I wonder where OEM paper filters are from?

Finally, they are green in that we don't have to keep buying and throwing away billions of paper OEM filters. Oh, and we don't ahve to let the dealer gouge us for the cost and labor to replace the product. They only need to be washed and reoiled every 50k miles or so in normal conditions, or 25k miles in dusty off road conditions. . .

Shoot, forgot one thing. . . K&N also provides an engine protection warranty in addition to warrantying the filter for 1,000,000 miles. In decades of use in multiple vehicles, I have never had a problem with one at all.

Just my two cents. . .

e24kgold

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Wow, let the fear mongering go into overdrive I guess. . . Despite the FUD being espoused, can't imagine in this litigous society, if K&N was truly the antichrist as you portray, there wouldn't be lawsuits decades ago. Also you would have to simply ignore the actual testing that has been done. . .independetly according to ISO 5011 developed by Society of Engineers (SOE) that has proven that they are just as effective if not more than OEM filters.

Also keep in mind that they are made in America. I wonder where OEM paper filters are from?

Finally, they are green in that we don't have to keep buying and throwing away billions of paper OEM filters. Oh, and we don't ahve to let the dealer gouge us for the cost and labor to replace the product. They only need to be washed and reoiled every 50k miles or so in normal conditions, or 25k miles in dusty off road conditions. . .

Shoot, forgot one thing. . . K&N also provides an engine protection warranty in addition to warrantying the filter for 1,000,000 miles. In decades of use in multiple vehicles, I have never had a problem with one at all.

Just my two cents. . .
Wow....made in america. That's exactly why I bought a land rover. Really this whole 'green' thing is out of control...lol...Damn tree huggers

Disco Mike

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I was thinking the same thing, we are now making some of the poorest quality product on the world wide market, so if you want to support K&N, come up with something better.
That being said, the K&N oil filters are rated in the top 3 or 4 available in the market.

Mr.BigsLR3

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well, who ever wants to run a K&N deserves what he gets, either a failed MAF or more dirt in their engines then can handle.
They are pure junk and whoever decides to stick with them will pay the price.
The factory air filter is by far the best.

+1 with Mike's thought. The oily residue on these types of filters are simply not compatible with current MAF technology. The residue inhibits the sensors functions and will gum up the exposed portions of the sensor. This has been noted on many new Bosch MAF fitted vehicles such as BMW's, Audi's, Porsche, etc.

FWIW - I tried a K&N on my old BMW E46 M3. After a week, I had to clean the MAF and promptly installed a non-oiled cone filter.

Just my .02.

e24kgold

Full Access Member
Reaction score
+1 I have a Mercedes C230 sport and a Honda S2000 too, those forums are full of people who have had MAF sensor failures

jesus_man

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Running one on my generation of F-350 Powerstroke (1999 - 2004) would void the engine warranty if that tells you anything, and we don't have an MAF system. I don't know what Ford's current stance is on it, but I just won't use an oiled filter.

I have run my fair share of K&N stuff and still have one on my rock crawling rig. I leave it filthy! I'll replace it soon with an AEM.

J.D.

schafari

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The forums are filled with "fears" of using the K&N, but not much discussion on proper usage. I have used them successuflly for decades in multiple Audis (A6 4.2, A4 2.8, etc.) multiple VW's (Passat GLX 4 Motion, Jetta VR6, etc.) Honda, Land Rover, and GM. Never had a problem once on any vehicle.

Oh, by law, Ford can't say an aftermarket air filter will void your engine warranty.

Sometimes on these forums people always complain of poor tire life. . . Of course driving a vehicle like a race car will shorten tire life. In proper use leads to problems. Same for a K&N filter. If you can read and follow the directions, you will NOT have a problem with the MAF sensors. Use it right, and it will work. Pretty simple.

Disco Mike

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So, it is a waste of time trying to convince you that you are heading towards a problem. That being said, do not support the use on this forum where too many people have already had problems with K&N.

roverman

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Bottom line for me is it may or may not do harm, but it offers questionable or at the very best extremely negligible performance benefit and/or cost savings. Fear mongering or not, It seems like a no brainer to use paper...

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Oledave49