Aftermaket Air Filters

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

jesus_man

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Anyone running a drop-in aftermarket air filter? I don't even know what the stock one looks like, but I'd like to see if the likes of the oil-less AEM has a filter for our appilcation. I won't put in an oiled filter. Any other options? Thanks!

J.D.

ZeitgeistXIII

Reaction score
I am using the K&N filter and it is oiled and dropped in quite nicely. I have used K&N or BMC on my cars and bikes for years. I have never had issues with oiled vs paper even in heavy desert conditions when I lived in California. Just as reccomendation when cleaning them if your married or have a SWMBO do not use the dishwasher in the kitchen to wash them. ;)

e24kgold

Full Access Member
Reaction score
As it has been discussed before, stay away from K&N filters as they cause MAF sensor problems. Happens all the time.

jesus_man

Full Access Member
Reaction score
that's why i put my disclaimer in there about oiled filters. AEM's are washable, but do not use oil. just don't see that they have a filter for the lr3

CMGRover

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The oil that K&N uses is scary...what if that got sucked it?

I think just good ole paper...LR3's really aren't going to see much of a gain from a slight increase in flow. Just my opinion.

ZeitgeistXIII

Reaction score
Interesting about the MAS. I will keep an eye on it and see if there are issues. The main reason I like the oiled filters is they are reusable, do offer a good cleaning soluion. These vehicles are heavy so being fast per se by hopping up a filter is pretty minimal. I coculd probably lose the 35 to 40 pounds off of me me and get a better HP gain. lol

pvangura

Full Access Member
Reaction score
As it has been discussed before, stay away from K&N filters as they cause MAF sensor problems. Happens all the time.

I've been using a K&N in my LR3 (s) for the last 3.5-4 years...2 different trucks. Before that, I had one in my Disco II (and before that my Audi). I've never had a single problem related to the air filter, MAF or otherwise. The trick is to pay attention when you oil the filter...it should be evenly coated, but not dripping with oil. Even my service adviser has told me that the reason they tell people not to use them is because nearly everyone over-oils the filter, which then leaks oil all over the MAF.

Granted, there is almost no increase in performance. I just like being able to pull the filter out and service it after a particularly dusty day out.

Just my $.02, from experience.

-Paul

jesus_man

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Anyone know the specs on the factory filter, as in, what size it is LxWxH. It'd be nice to know what size the opening is too. Ours is still in service waiting on parts so I can't do it.

J.D.

schafari

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have used K&N in all my vehicles for decades with zero issue. It is actually hard to over oil if you are smart enough to say. . .butter toast. If you tend to forget to roll up your windows as you drive through a car wash, a K&N filter is not for you. If however, you are confident in your ability to know that when you go through the car wash, you need to roll up your driver side window. . .you can handle a K&N filter.

Disco Mike

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well, who ever wants to run a K&N deserves what he gets, either a failed MAF or more dirt in their engines then can handle.
They are pure junk and whoever decides to stick with them will pay the price.
The factory air filter is by far the best.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Vintage99