Air Compressor Noise

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

BlackRover

Reaction score
Has anyone ever noticed their air suspension compressor kick on every time they start their LR3? Mine turns on just about every time. I took it into the dealership to check for leaks, and they reported everything to be normal with no leaks. They also stated that the noise i was hearing was "normal" It doesn't seem normal to me, since I have never heard the compressor b4. It sounds like a little 12volt AC tire pump/compressor, every time I start the engine. I'm thinking the compressor is going bad. Does anyone have any thoughts about this?

The suspension seems to be working fine...no glitches when I change ride height, no noise when I go over bumps, and no lights. Just the compressor noise on startup. (lasts for about a minute.

PicnSav

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Mine does the same. I thought this was normal.

toddjb122

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I think its normal. Some compressors may be louder than others as you pointed out, but I don't think you'll get it replaced unless it fails.

There is a reserve tank of compressed air under your drivers side door I think (long black tank). When the vehicle is idle the car occasionally checks your suspension and re-levels things by letting air out on occasion. I don't think it draws from the tank, but rather probably uses the tank when the engine is running so that it doesn't have to turn the compressor on for every minute adjustment.

Anyway, when you start the car it repressurizes the system...tops of the tank and makes sure the vehicle is at the correct ride height. Mine does this every time. Is it possible that you have a leak, sure...but I'd be more suprrised if you didn't hear the compressor than if you did.

Don't worry about it. Its just one of a hundred little systems that is destined to fail when you're out of warranty and cost you $1000. :hahaha: Nothing to worry about.

Boaz

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I've got a new 08 with only 7k miles on it, and this happens every time for me. But I usually lower to access height when parked, which lets the air out of the suspension. I hear it more since I put the rock sliders on, because the insulation cover had to be removed. I wouldn't worry about it. If you notice it going on all the time while you're driving, and you're not changing ride heights, then I'd think there is a leak. The dealer should be able to see if there's a leak just by plugging the computer in. I know people who have had that happen on older 06 models.

duckdive

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I would think that if you leave the vehicle at ride height in the evening and come out
in the morning and it's sitting in access height you may have a leak. If not, it is doing
what toddjb122 said above and is just topping itself off at startup.

phx5o

Reaction score
Mine does the same, and heard thats normal. When I get home and park it, it releases air and lowers a little bit. In the morning the conpressor pumps it up. Plus this is my second compressor. Last one failed on a camping trip in the mountians. I had it in access height and it wouldn't raise up.

zdas04

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Guys, remember the ideal gas law from high school physics or chemistry? The air in the tank tends to warm up while you are driving and cool down when the car is sitting idle without any exhaust heat under the car. As the temperature of the air in the tank drops, so does the pressure. In the morning, the pressure in the tank is down some and the compressor tops it off. No leak, just simple physics.

David

mustbeaudi

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Guys, remember the ideal gas law from high school physics or chemistry?

David

If you had Mr. Velkoff for HS chemistry like I did, you probably learned nothing and remember less. He was very old then, probably gone now - just like whatever chemistry laws I might have read about in my textbook. Pity, because the teacher in the next room was a star. Maybe I would be a physician today but for Velkoff?

I'm sorry, too much digression: we often hear our compressor when starting up in the garage, too. I prefer the blow off hiss of the parked truck, though, as it's much more cool sounding.

BlackRover

Reaction score
Yeah, I'm sure its just doing its job...and it may be the "New Car Syndrome" when after a few months you start to notice things you didn't when you test drove it and then bought it, happens to us all I bet. Thanks for the discussion.

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
helge