All Weather or Snow Tires ?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Quijote

Full Access Member
Reaction score
> stick to all weather tires. not worth switching tires in my opinion. Secondly tires age with time and like anything else the rubber becomes dry and if you shelf them for any amount of time in the garage.... where temperature isn't controlled yearround expect those tires to dry up and wear quickly.

The biggest factor in tire degradation is far and away sunlight. As long as tires are in the garage and loaded so they don't develop a flat spot, they should be good for a long time. I will putting in the dedicated Hakka winter tires for the 7th season this weekend. They look like the day I got them. My LR4 is garaged so tires see sun for only a few hours for a few months a year.

Besides sunlight, heat is the biggest issues. Winter tires are naturally better off.

ChicagoLR4

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Pulled the trigger on the WR G4's today. I figured Im not driving enough in snow to need a dedicated snow tire. Being installed tomorrow. Bring on the snow ! Review to come.

gsxr

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I may be missing something here, but the Nokian WR G4 basically is a dedicated snow tire, that can also moonlight as an all-season tire. It has the snowflake-on-mountain symbol which indicates it's a true snow tire, not a three-season. It also has the heavy siping like snow tires. But it's probably a harder rubber compound to deal with summer temps.

showflakesymbol_opt.png
OFFICIALLY APPROVED FOR WINTER USE

https://www.nokiantires.com/all-weather-tires/nokian-wr-g4/

Nokian appears to be blurring lines by calling the WR G3/G3 "all weather" tires, while having a separate category for "all season" tires which are not rated for snow/ice and lack the siping. The Hakka winter-only tires are a softer compound which work better on ice and would wear rapidly in summer heat.

For the record, I have a set of Hakka R2 SUV winter tires on spare wheels, because I believe that is cheaper than bent sheet metal and increased insurance rates. And I expect to get 6-7 winters out of them, as Quijote mentioned above.

jettore

Full Access Member
Reaction score
"All weather" is a recently created tire category, not just used by Nokian. Basically all season with the addition of the snow rating. The wr g3 gets great reviews for year round use and I am very happy with our current set. So far wear seems fine and winter performance has been great. I'd assume the wr g4 will follow in the tradition of great performance.

catman

Full Access Member
Reaction score

aj22

Reaction score
Pulled the trigger on the WR G4's today. I figured Im not driving enough in snow to need a dedicated snow tire. Being installed tomorrow. Bring on the snow ! Review to come.

I ran a set on an E320 wagon, I found them to be excellent in snow, even if not as good as the Hakkas, but while they didn’t wear as quickly as snow tires, mine didn’t have nearly the longevity of all seasons. YMMV, literally.

I swap tires/wheels on my cars, but we’re driving all over NE skiing every weekend. All-seasons don’t cut it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

dlonesty

Reaction score
I live in WA state and I travel to snow many times. I find my Bridgestone Dueller Alenza plus work fine. I carry chains called Trax 4x4 that are super easy to put on, even in driving snow storms. The TRAX are the ones that LR Portland recommend. Oregon requires that everyone carry chains.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
OnoA