Alternator Rebuild

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

V

vandermeulen

Has anyone out there had any experience with having their alternator rebuilt? I have a 96' Disco (4.0 Gem) and the headlights and dashlights are flickering. Been told by a seasoned LR mechanic that it's a sign of alternator going. I believe they are Bosch alternators and new ones are very expensive. Thought I might see if anyone has had luck with rebuilts.

Sergei

Full Access Member
Reaction score
379$ for bulletproof alternator with higher output and pretty much lifetime warranty is hardly a lot :)

As of rebuild ones - they seems to be snuffing it in months from rebuilding, at least judging by boards.

V

vandermeulen

Not bad. I have a quote for a Bosch alt. thats $690.00 (Canadian). Too bad the rebuilds ***** out so soon. Need a good alt and battery up here in winter.

Sergei

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Call Mean Green - they are ones i was talking about, and they got Canadian headquaters. Their alternators are 200A unlike 100A of Bosch and they got million miles warranty , or something like that.

JJMyerz

Adventurer
Reaction score
$125 for the local custom alt. shop to take it out, rebuild it with good parts and put it back in.

ColeCam

Full Access Member
Reaction score
For the mean green, do you need a longer/ shorter belt or is it the same size?

V

vandermeulen

Good question about the belt.
Justin, I take it you've had a rebuild already? Did it go well?

D

discomike

The difference between buying a rebiuld off the shelf and having yours rebuilt is huge.
When Justins went bad I recommended a local shop I knew, and had used in the past.
My experience whit them was that it would come out like new or they would not build it.
Mike J.

V

vandermeulen

Thanks for the info. I guess I'll have to think about whether or not I want to chance a rebuild (and possibly waste dollars) or spend the extra cash on a new one with warranty. I've had rebuilds on other vehicles before without problems, but the Disco is a whole other world in itself.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
washburn72