Another Coolant pass over issue

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Purpledragooon

Reaction score
Hey!

2015 LR4 HSE (so it has the supercharge) with 74k miles

While accelerating Suddenly a great cloud of white steam! stop immediately and find that the reservoir is empty and coolant is pouring out.

1) get it home -complete
2) find leak -leak looked like it was coming from below the water pump
3) remove water pump- complete
4) i could see water dripping from the driver side Y fitting into the engine.
5) what now- start of questions

I am trying to figure out what to do here.

Is there a way to replace without removing the supercharger. if not can i just lift it at an angle like the other version to get enough room?

Thanks for the help, currently taking the bus to work so trying to fix it soon.

ryanjl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
There are extensive writeups on this forum about replacing the coolant crossover pipes, on both engines with the supercharger and engines without. I'm sure if you search you will find them.

Here is one:

jlglr4

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Here’s a more complete how-to thread:https://www.landroverworld.org/thre...ar-crossover-and-passenger-valve-cover.42135/

To answer your question, yes supercharger needs to come off. I’ve heard some reports of just lifting the front, but that doesn’t really save much effort, and you run the risk of an intake leak as you can’t change the crush gaskets if you just lift the front. Plus, you should do the rear crossover at the same time, and that’s easier if the sc is off completely.

Davidinseattle

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I hope this will be the end to people thinking there is not a problem with the v-6 engines. Sorry folks, it's a 60k mile maintenance item. Ours was crumbling at 50k and Purpledragoon is not the only one with a low mileage complete failure.

It's just a ticking time bomb past 70k miles IMO

Michael Puig

Reaction score
Let me chime in - I have a 2016 with only 11k miles.... But I have been reading about the cooling issue since the beginning - even to go so far as to make inquires about 3d printing custom replacement parts. Yes, its possible. But reading from above... I know this is not something for people that live in cold weather but is it possible to simply fab block off plates for the heater circuit? That would seem to eliminate the entire problem? Sounds extreme I know....I tend to do that...

greiswig

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Let me chime in - I have a 2016 with only 11k miles.... But I have been reading about the cooling issue since the beginning - even to go so far as to make inquires about 3d printing custom replacement parts. Yes, its possible. But reading from above... I know this is not something for people that live in cold weather but is it possible to simply fab block off plates for the heater circuit? That would seem to eliminate the entire problem? Sounds extreme I know....I tend to do that...
Short answer: no.

The parts in question allow coolant to flow from one head to the other and back, from what I can tell. You'd be preventing the heads from getting coolant.

ktm525

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I had no idea we had Jewish parts in the LR4. Perhaps if we smear them with the blood of the passover lamb they won't fail..

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
A562NV