Another Defender hint?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

ryanjl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
And here's a follow-up video from that FJ Cruiser dude:

Nothing really groundbreaking, except at 2:55 is the first shot we see of some of the front suspension. Looks like there's something weird going on on the top of the knuckle, as well as the top of the strut. Wonder if that's production or just something they fit to a prototype vehicle.

Last edited:

Pfunk951

Full Access Member
Reaction score
This thing is looking more and more like what the Discovery 5 should have been. You raise the back 3/4 of the roof 4 inches and add some small contemporary curved windows up there, and you have a dead ringer.

Mike

ryanjl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So this is the engine that the Lucky8 video claims is in the new Defender:

https://www.caranddriver.com/news/a26340535/jaguar-land-rover-ingenium-inline-six-engine/

A 3.0 straight six with a turbo and an electric supercharger. Sounds really neat, but it also sounds like an engine I might want to see in action for a bit before I buy in.

Lucky 8 posted on the expeditionportal forum that they've heard there is not going to be a diesel Defender in the U.S. I hope that's wrong, but I know that VW killed whatever momentum diesel had in the U.S., and I don't think the diesel variants of the other LR vehicles are selling that well.

Last edited:

TheWidup

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The same thoughts about the "Ecoboost" that Ford dropped into the F150s. Lots of doubt turned into lots of believers.

Is it just me or are the roofline pics starting to look like they're hiding a sloped/step on the front end that would be a throwback to the old Defenders/LRs? I personally love my LR4 as a box on wheels...have always liked that look and honestly would be in the market for a similar design.

ryanjl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have no doubt it will be great when it's working well, but I'm talking about reliability. Are Ecoboost engines reliable? I've read some things online that make me wonder; in particular, I've read (on a subreddit frequented by auto mechanics) that the 2.3L is one of the most unreliable engines in production. The larger ecoboost engines seem to be better.

To be honest, if it's going a moderate hybrid route, I'd love a plug in option that would let me go 30 miles on electric. That would cover about 90% of my driving.

But let me just say that LR doesn't have the best track record when it comes to the first or second model year of a new engine.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
washburn72