Another Defender hint?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

NASdiesel

Full Access Member
Reaction score
After seeing what jeep is doing with the gladiator, I'm sorry to say but I cannot see how JLR is going to have any watershed moment with the "new" defender. They have totally botched the release of it, the build up. What a joke.

cperez

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The title of the video says "Range Rover," but the "Range Rover" in this video is the funky-bodied Defender test mule that was spied a year ago or so.

Not a bad spy report as those go. I'm heading to the DC Auto Show this week to see the Land Rover gang. This past weekend I met some of the instructors from the LRE Equinox (Manchester, VT) and we made plans to connect again at the show. I doubt they'll have loose lips, but as the release presumably gets closer, the marketing plan may call for an informal whisper campaign to let out a few more tidbits.

ryanjl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
After seeing what jeep is doing with the gladiator, I'm sorry to say but I cannot see how JLR is going to have any watershed moment with the "new" defender. They have totally botched the release of it, the build up. What a joke.

I pretty much agree. At this point, we pretty much know what the new Defender is going to be. I'm still holding out that the styling will be more boxy and less round, but it's pretty clear it will pretty much be a rebodied D5. Which is sort of fine, in a vacuum, as the D90 and the Disco 1 more or less shared the same underpinnings. Here, though, it's going to have the bad parts about it, too. For example, it's pretty clear it's going to have those stupid radiators in front of each front wheel, pretty much negating any ability to have an aftermarket front bumper.

But if the new Defender is only available with 20" or even 19" wheels...

But if the new Defender is only available without a low-range transfer case unless you spring for another $20k package with a bunch of useless ****...

But if the new Defender is rounded and looks like the same pinched loaf as the rest of the Rover lineup...

...then this thing is DOA.

I really hope the Rover guys were being cagey in that video with what they said about taking it up Potato Salad Hill. That's an obstacle that a stock Rubicon can do. I gave up hope a long time ago that the new Defender can ever be modified to do as well as a modified Wrangler can do, but I guess I was stupid enough to believe that a stock 2020 Defender will be able to compete with a stock Rubicon, and that's just based on the hype coming from Land Rover's mouth.

Yet I see them taking this damn thing on the Nurburgring, and I really begin to wonder if they have any ******* clue what they are selling.

Last edited:

catman

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So it looks like it was running 255/60/20 (32") tires on this thing. I don't even see any 255/60/20 tires for sale in the US. 275/55/20 is all I see. Maybe that means a 255/70/18 will be a stock option? Obviously people will go bigger and wider, but to meet efficiency standards I am sure LR will keep it safe.

jmars

Reaction score
It’s comical at this point and the formula for success really isn’t a hard one but LR is doing their finest to ruin their last hope.

If the bronco has a removable top and doors (even if doors can’t come off) the market share for the new De’failure is lost.

Gladiator can tow, Wrangler has 2 or 4 doors (along with tops and doors) and the Bronco will be the new hotness.....no room at the inn for the LR which is looking to maybe come up short.

I’m rooting for it but not banking on it winning anyone over upon release....I hope I eat these words.

LR4TQ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It’s comical at this point and the formula for success really isn’t a hard one but LR is doing their finest to ruin their last hope.

If the bronco has a removable top and doors (even if doors can’t come off) the market share for the new De’failure is lost.

Gladiator can tow, Wrangler has 2 or 4 doors (along with tops and doors) and the Bronco will be the new hotness.....no room at the inn for the LR which is looking to maybe come up short.

I’m rooting for it but not banking on it winning anyone over upon release....I hope I eat these words.

I think it's a little unfair to compare the Defender to the Gladiator/new Bronco as I am sure the Defender is going to be priced higher. I mean, used NAS Defenders are going for $65-$100k so I don't see LR pricing it under the old Defender, after all, it should be a nicer truck all around. I am also fairly optimistic that in stock form, the offroad performance will be equal to the new Wrangler but with better refinement for everyday use hence the higher price tag. We shall see!

Webecinya

Reaction score
As an owner of a NAS, I cannot imagine any new D90 taking any of my mindshare.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Houm_WA

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The NAS Defender is so expensive because of lack of supply. They retailed for dirt back in the mid-90s.

jmars

Reaction score
I think it's a little unfair to compare the Defender to the Gladiator/new Bronco as I am sure the Defender is going to be priced higher. I mean, used NAS Defenders are going for $65-$100k so I don't see LR pricing it under the old Defender, after all, it should be a nicer truck all around. I am also fairly optimistic that in stock form, the offroad performance will be equal to the new Wrangler but with better refinement for everyday use hence the higher price tag. We shall see!

I’m not sure why it’s unfair...a fully rigged out Rubicon is a rather nice truck with a chunky price tag BUT you can also make it your own through the extremely large aftermarket offerings.

Also who cares what the NAS units are selling for today, they will only go up if this de’failure is a swing and a miss.

The comparison is made bc two door small SUVs (bc that’s what the buying public going to see) will have a hard time shelling out this kind of money. There is a reason why NAS Defenders and all FJ series Yota futures seem to be going up......simplicity speaks to many.

Latest posts

Staff online

• joey
    Custom Rover Accessories

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
A562NV